Spoon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSW

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Got a wild hair and carved a spoon while the snow continued to fall.

It has went through a potato soup and chocolate ice cream so it is ready to go once spring gets here and I take it camping.

Attachments

• IMG_20210211_154242169.jpg
    IMG_20210211_154242169.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20210211_154307882.jpg
    IMG_20210211_154307882.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 22
I'm not gonna pretend that isn't the peak of my spoon carving skills as it most definitely is but I've always preferred things on the simple side.

Or maybe I'm just jealous of the fancy carvers out there. :)

Go ahead and throw some pictures up. The more the merrier.

I was asking a serious question, I'll wait for a serious answer.

I'd like to try making a spoon and would like to know what kind of knife would be good for a beginner and how to keep it sharp.
Morakniv.
I don’t do a lot of wood carving but I own several Moras for home and outdoor use.

https://morakniv.se/en/

What kind of tools do you use to care something like that? And how do you keep them sharp?
Our resident wood carver, Tom , has much better tools and does fancy carving. My spoons are just for actual household chores and were carved with basic tools, a jack knife and a carborundum whet stone to keep a decent edge on it. The spoons I carve only take me an hour or so to make, others will spend a day or more on elaborate carved beauties.

Our resident wood carver, Tom , has much better tools and does fancy carving. My spoons are just for actual household chores and were carved with basic tools, a jack knife and a carborundum whet stone to keep a decent edge on it. The spoons I carve only take me an hour or so to make, others will spend a day or more on elaborate carved beauties.
So, I would need say the 106 and the hook knife?
https://morakniv.se/en/product/woodcarving-106-lc-natural/
What did you use to cut away the bulk of the half log?

Latest posts

Back