Spoon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I would need say the 106 and the hook knife?
https://morakniv.se/en/product/woodcarving-106-lc-natural/
What did you use to cut away the bulk of the half log?
I use the hatchet the roughed out spoon is resting on.

img_7721-jpg.889629

That set has a hooked or curved knife so that might make it easier to carve some spoons. The deeper ladle like spoons I have pics of on here may be too deep for a hooked knife. It would depend on the tightness of the curve diameter if the knife could reach to the bottom of the spoons bowl.
That's what I was wondering last night... it probably wouldn't be useful for making a teaspoon, would it?

Is this how you made your spoon?

I use the axe to rough out the spoon like he does but I don`t have a hooked knife. My carving knife I made by grinding the tip somewhat rounded but its very sharp all along its cutting edge. That is the first time ever that I watched someone else carve a knife, my method differs some but it does not matter , a useful item is the end result. I carved my first spoons for my grandmother when I was 12 -13 years old. She asked if I could make her one, I ended up making her 14 different ones and 6 spatulas or flat paddle like stirring things, she absolutely loved them. Over the years I have made more than 50 spoons of different sizes and designs, they are nothing special, just utilitarian kitchen tools.

Looking at You Tube , I found this guy that makes spoons much like the ones I have made for kitchen duties,

Nice.
Ordered the carving knife last night... going to look for a hook knife and the wax now.

My dad had a big scar on his thigh from a gash he got when whittling when he was young....
I'll be using a piece of leather in my lap. :yes:

Nice.
Ordered the carving knife last night... going to look for a hook knife and the wax now.

My dad had a big scar on his thigh from a gash he got when whittling when he was young....
I'll be using a piece of leather in my lap. :yes:
Good idea, a leather welding apron works well. A hook knife will speed up most spoons if they aren`t a deep pocket type, most spoons only need to be between 1/4 and 3/8" deep, a ladle is considerably more.

Back