Spur climbing question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonsemi

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This Is a really stupid question but I just had to know the answer. When you are climbing a tree with spurs what would happen if both your spurs accidentally came out from the tree would just plummet down the trunk? Thanks. The reason I ask is I was thinking of Starring to spur climb.

Avoid frictionless beech trees till you get some experience. ;)
You are less likely to plummet to your doom if you really pound in those gaffs.
Pretend you are riding a sluggish brute of a horse that has just bitten you repeatedly.

Avoid frictionless beech trees till you get some experience. ;)
You are less likely to plummet to your doom if you really pound in those gaffs.
Pretend you are riding a sluggish brute of a horse that has just bitten you repeatedly.
Thanks I was mostly intending on climbing a couple maples and pines that needed to come down. I have also been searching around on the site and found that you can double wrap your lanyard around the tree to make it stop you from falling when you "gaff out" also correct me if I'm wrong your most likely going to be stopped by your lanyard once it runs out of working length or if if your grip it tight enough it will stop you almost immediately? Thanks

Also on dead tree that are a little risky to climb I have seen arborists tie into a nearby tree when they spur climb how will that help if the trees starts to topple when your in it. Thanks

Double wrapping your lanyard can be useful when climbing smaller diameter stems. Unnecessary and a PITA cto do most of the time, unless you are climbing slippery little devils.
Tying into an adjacent tree can be useful if the sketchy three fails only if you can undo your lanyard quickly, or incorporate a breakaway connector (for example a keychain biner or nylon zip tie) in your lanyard.
If the tree appears decidedly risky, you may want to reevaluate your ambition to be climbing in it until you have 1. Experience, and 2 . a good disability insurance policy and life insurance. Having a proper Last Will / Power of Attorney in place to make things less complicated for your relatives, heirs, etc.

Double wrapping a rope lanyard is almost impossible to advance up the tree . A wire core is easier but still a pita . I'll double wrap when making cuts on small diameter trees but always have a second TIP always !! Keep enough length in your flip line to stay away from the tree . You don't want your body up against the tree . I'm one of those that rather using pole gaffs unless I run into some really thick bark . Keep your knees straight and try not to bend your knees . But usually if you screw up and loose both spikes you wind up with a good brush burn on your front side and face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When ascending with double wrap lanyard, keep both hands on the tree like holding a women's waist and bring it up(lanyard) as you climb.
I'm kinda new with spur climbing and i find it effective when done this way, well maybe for that particular tree i guess.

Keep enough length in your flip line to stay away from the tree . You don't want your body up against the tree . I'm one of those that rather using pole gaffs unless I run into some really thick bark . Keep your knees straight and try not to bend your knees . But usually if you screw up and loose both spikes you wind up with a good brush burn on your front side and face

Staying away from the tree is counter instinctive. If you are away from the tree, with your knees straight, the angle on your spikes will keep them from slipping even if they are not deep into the tree. Same principle in rock climbing. Get away from the rock and use your legs. Hugging the tree makes things more difficult.

If both spurs kick out you can count on a busted chin and maybe a new hillbilly smile:D

I hate spur climbing, hardly ever do it.

If both spurs kick out you can count on a busted chin and maybe a new hillbilly smile:D

I hate spur climbing, hardly ever do it.

I just finished a job yesterday where I took down 3 big Tulips all over 100' and one had a trunk so big my 14' flip line was maxed out. I'm with you on hating spur climbing lol

Chevy, that sounds like an absolute nightmare. Liriodendrons have some pretty ****** hinge wood as well.

Chevy, that sounds like an absolute nightmare. Liriodendrons have some pretty ****** hinge wood as well.

Ya they don't hinge at all they just pop. Lots of big Tulips in my area but I don't mind climbing them too much.

Back