Spur climbing question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think of more as climbing the tree with my hands, the lanyard is backup. When I learned to spike, I learned by free climbing up and down about 15 feet max then added a rope that I held in only my hands. The guy who was teaching me had me go faster and faster until my spikes would slip and I would have to catch myself by pressing my elbows/fore arms on the pole while pinching the pole with my thighs. Then I would figure out how to get my spikes back in and keep going. You have a choice to tear up your forearms or your face if you slip-- I prefer forearms.

The way I learned wasnt very safe and I wouldn't recommend it however I hope it helps you view yourself as capable of catching your self if you do slip. If you know you can catch yourself if you slip, it will make you more comfortable and allow you to use your lanyard for backup rather than relying on it to hold you up, which, as you have identified, can fail you miserably.

Another added safety option is to do a srt canopy tie around the spar in addition to your lanyard so you have a better chance of it cinching and catching you. It can be a bit clumsy flipping both lines together at first and you need to be careful you don't spike your rope but it can be almost unnoticeable when you get the hang of it. Run your tail outside your legs and clip it to the out side of your leg strap to help keep it out of your way.

Ok I'm done now-- sorry for the monologue.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

huh ? im getting dumber to understand simple jokes these days
i climbed to set the rigging and took the tree down, went smoothly
anyway how you guys suggest to step the spur on small diameter trees ?

I think of more as climbing the tree with my hands, the lanyard is backup. When I learned to spike, I learned by free climbing up and down about 15 feet max then added a rope that I held in only my hands. The guy who was teaching me had me go faster and faster until my spikes would slip and I would have to catch myself by pressing my elbows/fore arms on the pole while pinching the pole with my thighs. Then I would figure out how to get my spikes back in and keep going. You have a choice to tear up your forearms or your face if you slip-- I prefer forearms.

The way I learned wasnt very safe and I wouldn't recommend it however I hope it helps you view yourself as capable of catching your self if you do slip. If you know you can catch yourself if you slip, it will make you more comfortable and allow you to use your lanyard for backup rather than relying on it to hold you up, which, as you have identified, can fail you miserably.

Another added safety option is to do a srt canopy tie around the spar in addition to your lanyard so you have a better chance of it cinching and catching you. It can be a bit clumsy flipping both lines together at first and you need to be careful you don't spike your rope but it can be almost unnoticeable when you get the hang of it. Run your tail outside your legs and clip it to the out side of your leg strap to help keep it out of your way.

Ok I'm done now-- sorry for the monologue.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

you arent suppose to keep your body too close to the tree when using spurs, the idea is to stay away from the tree(your hips)
so it will give your spurs good angle to drive it in the wood which will hold it right and tight
the closer you bring yourself to the tree the more likely you will gaff out
im still learning on climbing leaners and small diameter trees

Take a wrap on the lanyard it will help stop some of the rolling so to speak around the smaller trunk. Small wood just watch that you dont gaff yourself since your feet are closer then on a big spar. Most importantly dont rush and ALWAYS trust your gut. It might just save your life.

When I take limbs off on the way up I'll leave a foot or two stub. You can use it as a step if need be or and it will give you some mental reassurance if you slip it'll catch your buck. After a lil bit you will catch on just make sure you lean back so your spike hits at an angle to help hold try spiking up and down 15 ft or so several times and you will catch on and if you sharpen them make sure you do it right or you will kick out easier

Now i dont remember if it is a new ansi rule, or if our company just requires it but we always have to have a cinching system if we are spiking up a tree or working a spar. If your using a double rope systm u can use an adjustable friction saver, or like chip chokper said a cinching srt system.

I never ever lost both spikes simultaneously......the higher I went, the tighter my butt cheeks got!!

I made a belt similar to the flip-line with a wide belt that wraps around the tree and connects to my saddle, this allows me to eliminate a lifeline, throwline and sandbag.

Del, I guess it would be better understood if I post a pic, I will take a pic tomorrow to better explain what I am trying to express.

I know what you are trying to express. You are saying that a strap and a lanyard replaces needing to be 'top roped'. Being 'top roped' has many advantages over using two tie in points that are right at your hip. Getting up and around large limbs for instance, or going for a short limb walk on the way up.

I know what you are trying to express. You are saying that a strap and a lanyard replaces needing to be 'top roped'. Being 'top roped' has many advantages over using two tie in points that are right at your hip. Getting up and around large limbs for instance, or going for a short limb walk on the way up.
Yes you are correct but I guess I should have stated "in my situation" these trees are about 40-60' high and no larger than 18" diameter without a lot of limbs, I'm cutting them down (about 6) to prevent them from falling onto the roof in the future. These trees are growing on an incline and 2 have already died, I guess trees growing on an incline do not live as long as trees growing on level ground.
i-dont-know-smiley-emoticon.gif
I agree with what you are saying if the trees were larger. These are like matchsticks, tall and skinny.

Ive been using these spurs in picture since i started not real pro spikes, no pads, they were given to me as a gift by my buddy he used em successfully as a freelance climber no issue i havent had any trouble i learned from him, but i cant find anything like em anywhere, can anyone tell me what theyre actually for

Sorry forgot to add the picture heres one i know they get me where i need to be, they can be put on the back of me boots for lethal spinings wheel kick, and they make me look like a cowboy but idk what theyre actually made for

Attachments

• IMG_20181226_063817.jpg
    IMG_20181226_063817.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 64

Latest posts

Back