Spur sprockets - Worn vs Worn out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have often wondered if it would be worthwhile running a small arc weld over the worn groove in a spur sprocket then shaping it flush with my Dremel.

Has anybody done this.? ?

Always seems a waste just chucking a spur sprocket into the scrap metal bin when only a small bit is worn.
I'd only do that in a Max Max post apocalyptic world, or for parts NLA

All right a conservative fellow. That's right, get all the use out of that $6 part you can!. I think you should use them until they break into two pieces and THEN weld them. You might even experiment by turning one piece around to get some fresh metal.
BTW do you reuse condoms by using shoe goo after cleaning, to repair holes?
Used condoms are for really cheap mother@#$%^@!

Time to replace. Look into switching to a rim sprocket. More durable, less expensive to replace so the decision to replace comes fast. Part of good maintenance is tossing out warn components before they damage downstream parts.
I found that I get more adjustment with a spur drive va. a rim sprocket. Rim sprockets do last longer but I get more adjustment with a spur drive.

Latest spur sprocket I got in was from a lady using a Husky 450 Rancher. The chain drive links were runbbing against the hub, generating even more heat, and likely helping to burn up the bar tip. The sprocket was almost cut in half and the drive links were wearing rounded tips. After I replaced it, she wanted to keep it as a souvenier. She wanted me to try to save the bar but agreed that replacing it was next on the list.

I change every saw that has a sprocket over to rim and drum. With a sprocket nose bar it’s rollerized less friction more power.

On motorcycles it’s two front sprockets to one rear.

Have often wondered if it would be worthwhile running a small arc weld over the worn groove in a spur sprocket then shaping it flush with my Dremel.

Has anybody done this.? ?

Always seems a waste just chucking a spur sprocket into the scrap metal bin when only a small bit is worn.
Only worth it when you cant find another one.

If you weld the sprocket how do you make all the teeth even with each other?
It’s going to be like eccentric as it turns killing chains.

Some of that would be skill. Only the center of each sprocket tooth wears. Grinding the weld flush to the level of the original edges should be close.

Again, not recommend as a standard practice.

Philbert

Back