Square filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weekwarrior

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I’ve got my saws built and tuned to where I’m very happy with how they run. Been reading and doing a lot of research on round vs square chains and am ready to learn. Couple questions….

I understand there’s a steep learning curve…I figured it best to start with fresh square chains so ordered some from Baileys this morning…is this true??

Also can you file a round chain into a square once you’ve got a good handle on what it looks to have a sharp chain and you’ve got a good handle on filing?? Not even going to pretend to know anything about it besides what I’ve read and learned on here but you’ve got to start somewhere right??

I did not find that going from round to square being any big deal in learning. I did as you're thinking, in buying some square ground chains. Initially the Oregons were not all the impressive in the cut, but I steepened the angle of the top plate and do find the square ground chains do cut faster. At least that is the case with my 400c.

Reprofiling from round to square is okay. It is a bit of work, and is what I did on some old chains before making the Oregon chain purchases.

Good Luck!

So I’ve got my saws built and tuned to where I’m very happy with how they run. Been reading and doing a lot of research on round vs square chains and am ready to learn. Couple questions….

I understand there’s a steep learning curve…I figured it best to start with fresh square chains so ordered some from Baileys this morning…is this true??

Also can you file a round chain into a square once you’ve got a good handle on what it looks to have a sharp chain and you’ve got a good handle on filing?? Not even going to pretend to know anything about it besides what I’ve read and learned on here but you’ve got to start somewhere right??
Here’s a square hand filed for example

Attachments

• 87BB778B-250A-4CD0-86E7-6E91E8BA5929.jpeg
    87BB778B-250A-4CD0-86E7-6E91E8BA5929.jpeg
    942.7 KB · Views: 0

There's some good tutorials on Youtube, either Buckin' or Treeson did some good vids on it.

For me, it's more challenging than round filing. I'm getting pretty good at my square filing, but it's not quite 2nd nature yet. I can practically round file by hand, with my eyes closed...I'm not at that level with square.

It sounds counter intuitive, but round filed chain is actually easier to square file. The gullet is often so bad on a factory square grind chain, that it's a real PITA to file. If there is a big gullet, I'll clean it out with a round file first. I do this on a factory chain before I even cut with it. There is a noticeable improvement to a brand new chain if you just clean the gullet out.

Most people find the double-bevel file easier to use at first, although this wasn't the case for me. I swear by the triangle file(it's actually 6-sided, but the alternating 3 sides are much bigger than the other 3.)

I keep my short loops of chain(25" or less) round filed, as I'm often using those for brushing and/or other forms of cutting that may result in more frequent sharpening. It's just quicker for me to round file. My falling chains (32"+) are the ones that I square file. It cuts faster and is more grabbier(in a good way.) The best example of this, is if I'm cleaning up a dutchmen on my face cut. A round filed chain takes a little bit more finesse to "skim" into the sloping cut. The square-filed chain just bites in and is real easy to work with.

I’ve never square filed but have got pretty good at round filing. I’ve ended up with a couple square filed chains on new saws that I filed round with good performance and mileage.

There's some good tutorials on Youtube, either Buckin' or Treeson did some good vids on it.

For me, it's more challenging than round filing. I'm getting pretty good at my square filing, but it's not quite 2nd nature yet. I can practically round file by hand, with my eyes closed...I'm not at that level with square.

It sounds counter intuitive, but round filed chain is actually easier to square file. The gullet is often so bad on a factory square grind chain, that it's a real PITA to file. If there is a big gullet, I'll clean it out with a round file first. I do this on a factory chain before I even cut with it. There is a noticeable improvement to a brand new chain if you just clean the gullet out.

Most people find the double-bevel file easier to use at first, although this wasn't the case for me. I swear by the triangle file(it's actually 6-sided, but the alternating 3 sides are much bigger than the other 3.)

I keep my short loops of chain(25" or less) round filed, as I'm often using those for brushing and/or other forms of cutting that may result in more frequent sharpening. It's just quicker for me to round file. My falling chains (32"+) are the ones that I square file. It cuts faster and is more grabbier(in a good way.) The best example of this, is if I'm cleaning up a dutchmen on my face cut. A round filed chain takes a little bit more finesse to "skim" into the sloping cut. The square-filed chain just bites in and is real easy to work with.
That's terrible advice (the recommending leaning off buckin part) lets be real here Buckin isn't the place to be learning square filing lol
Now if you had of said grinding square yeah sure he knows how to do that.

If someone is serious about learning square filing for example Stihl fan Suisse is a good place to start.

That's terrible advice (the recommending leaning off buckin part) lets be real here Buckin isn't the place to be learning square filing lol
Now if you had of said grinding square yeah sure he knows how to do that.

If someone is serious about learning square filing for example Stihl fan Suisse is a good place to start.

That vid has pretty well become the go-to for teaching square filing

New to Square filing, have been round filing for years. Why not file the same way as with round file? I have seen the Stihl fan Suisse videos, one has English subtitles. Here is another one he is filing innside to outside, for me thats the natural way but I am not even a begginer havent even got my chisel file yet, so I have no real experience.

New to Square filing, have been round filing for years. Why not file the same way as with round file? I have seen the Stihl fan Suisse videos, one has English subtitles. Here is another one he is filing innside to outside, for me thats the natural way but I am not even a begginer havent even got my chisel file yet, so I have no real experience.

Because the single most important thing is that the corner of the file goes in the working corner of the tooth. Can’t see it or control it as well filing inside out. Not surprising that Harv is teaching something he knows nothing about again

Ok, I dont know how much he can, but I know that I myself know nothing about the subject other than YouTube videos. Hope I get the chisel file next week.

I will see the videos toonight.
Reason I said that, there are so many guys randomly filing with a double bevel and calling it square that without direction, your efforts will be futile. I bet 75% of the “square filing” videos on YouTube are someone with a random bastard file going at it sideways like a round file. It creates a cutter like Hexa that is nothing like squareA28E2EE8-FC5A-4709-B569-2516A99F80CA.jpeg

As opposed to someone who knows what he’s doing

CBA9158C-F49F-4DE4-BA5B-DD9DD0B3CC17.jpeg

seen it now, parts of it 2 or 3 times, very god tutoriell, and a plesure to Watch.

Hello. The ironpony is a big joke, if you want to learn square filing, look at stihl fan suisse or john Really. They are the kings. Or come visit me, I show you.

Latest posts

Back