Standard Troubleshooting Sequence?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I guess I get today's dunce award. It popped on the first pull, and 20 or so pulls after that, I got it to run. Apparently it was flooded, just as Tom and Harley and a few others suggested.

Thanks for all the helpful information (and patience). My 361 can be a royal PITA to unflood!
If it makes you feel better, the “pop” on my 361 is very easy to miss. Miss it and it is then only a few pulls from flooding. When flooded, it takes a lot of pulling to start. My other saws behave much better.

Ron

Thanks, guys. The fuel was mixed yesterday, pumped from the gas station the day before that -- 90 octane non-ethanol, Mobil 1 2T Racing oil 40-to-1 with 2 oz of Seafoam added to 1 gallon.
Before that (for several months) the saw had been stored bone-dry (any time I store 2-stroke motors for a month or more, I run them dry, using choke to get the bowl as dry as I can).

Strangely, this was the same procedure I had followed with my 660 -- and that saw was a royal biotch to get started yesterday (I never had much trouble with the 660 before that) but once I got it going it ran flawlessly, and I didn't even have to adjust its carb. That 660 (muffler modded) runs like a raped ape.

Dollars to donuts says the 361 starts on the first pull this morning and makes me look like a dope again.

Omma guess you guys are pulling my leg on the high-tension electric lines and orientation of the saw when I shut down... (But TBH, I actually had been running the 361 upside-down shortly before shutting down, because I was cutting a notch to fall a tree.)

If I can't get it started this morning, I'll mix a new batch of fuel and use newer oil this time. (I have a sealed gallon of Motul 800 2T oil that I bought 2 yrs ago...the Mobil 1 2T is "slightly" older.)

Question: Now that I think about it, I suspect that "pouring some mix down the throat" can result in a saw that is FUBAR for a long time if the mix gets down into the crankcase, and could take a really long time to un-flood ... is that accurate?
Was it very hot there maybe vapor lock?

Thanks, guys. The fuel was mixed yesterday, pumped from the gas station the day before that -- 90 octane non-ethanol, Mobil 1 2T Racing oil 40-to-1 with 2 oz of Seafoam added to 1 gallon.
Before that (for several months) the saw had been stored bone-dry (any time I store 2-stroke motors for a month or more, I run them dry, using choke to get the bowl as dry as I can).

Strangely, this was the same procedure I had followed with my 660 -- and that saw was a royal biotch to get started yesterday (I never had much trouble with the 660 before that) but once I got it going it ran flawlessly, and I didn't even have to adjust its carb. That 660 (muffler modded) runs like a raped ape.

Dollars to donuts says the 361 starts on the first pull this morning and makes me look like a dope again.

Omma guess you guys are pulling my leg on the high-tension electric lines and orientation of the saw when I shut down... (But TBH, I actually had been running the 361 upside-down shortly before shutting down, because I was cutting a notch to fall a tree.)

If I can't get it started this morning, I'll mix a new batch of fuel and use newer oil this time. (I have a sealed gallon of Motul 800 2T oil that I bought 2 yrs ago...the Mobil 1 2T is "slightly" older.)

Question: Now that I think about it, I suspect that "pouring some mix down the throat" can result in a saw that is FUBAR for a long time if the mix gets down into the crankcase, and could take a really long time to un-flood ... is that accurate?
The bit about running the saw upside down caught my attention.

not the first time ive seen the fuel filter lodged up out of the fuel when run on odd angles, it just didnt flop back down into the fuel as it should.
No fuel, no start.

Is the fuel hose starting to get a bit hard ?

Let us know what you find.

This guide relates specifically to the Shindaiwa models but there is excellent information regarding troubleshooting and general 2 stroke information.
http://www.golftechs.us/Manuals/shin chainsaw_current.pdf

Good stuff, thank you, that's going into storage for future reference.

Was it very hot there maybe vapor lock?
Yes, it was pretty hot, and the saw had a workout prior to shutting it down the last time. But I did let it idle for a minute to let it cool a bit before turning it off...

The bit about running the saw upside down caught my attention.

not the first time ive seen the fuel filter lodged up out of the fuel when run on odd angles, it just didnt flop back down into the fuel as it should.
No fuel, no start.

Is the fuel hose starting to get a bit hard ?

Let us know what you find.
Interesting, I had not even thought of that. Thanks for the tip.
The hose didn't seem too stiff when I replaced the filter, and I didn't notice it being fouled in the wrong position, but it's possible I just didn't notice...

One thing I wondered about is whether the fuel tank could have gotten pressurized and forced too much fuel into the carb. I had that happen with an E-TEC outboard motor where Evinrude made the fuel tank vent so that it would allow air INTO the tank, but wouldn't let pressure OUT of the tank. (One-way duckbill valve.) Stupidest goddam idea I ever heard. You're out in the boat on a sunny day (who ever uses a BOAT when it's HOT and SUNNY???) and the sun heats and pressurizes the tank, and the pressure has nowhere to go except to push a sh!tload of fuel into the fuel-injection system and ... it's flooded and won't start! Had that happen with a brand-new motor...wouldn't start at the ramp and I had to go home. Glad it didn't happen in an inlet or somebody might have got hurt! :buttkick:

Anyway, thanks again, guys. I appreciate all your help.

Good stuff, thank you, that's going into storage for future reference.

Yes, it was pretty hot, and the saw had a workout prior to shutting it down the last time. But I did let it idle for a minute to let it cool a bit before turning it off...

Interesting, I had not even thought of that. Thanks for the tip.
The hose didn't seem too stiff when I replaced the filter, and I didn't notice it being fouled in the wrong position, but it's possible I just didn't notice...

One thing I wondered about is whether the fuel tank could have gotten pressurized and forced too much fuel into the carb. I had that happen with an E-TEC outboard motor where Evinrude made the fuel tank vent so that it would allow air INTO the tank, but wouldn't let pressure OUT of the tank. (One-way duckbill valve.) Stupidest goddam idea I ever heard. You're out in the boat on a sunny day (who ever uses a BOAT when it's HOT and SUNNY???) and the sun heats and pressurizes the tank, and the pressure has nowhere to go except to push a sh!tload of fuel into the fuel-injection system and ... it's flooded and won't start! Had that happen with a brand-new motor...wouldn't start at the ramp and I had to go home. Glad it didn't happen in an inlet or somebody might have got hurt! :buttkick:

Anyway, thanks again, guys. I appreciate all your help.
Ive also seen oilers do the same thing.
Re pressurising the carb, dont think so, if you have a leaking needle, you would experience other issues, which you have not mentioned, tho maybe something got stuck under the seat of the needle in that particular instance, but as it was running fine beforehand, I dont think thats it. its normal for fuel to pressurise in the tank.
Different scenario in the boat too, with a different fuel delivery system, but I see where you going with it.

Then exhaust..since I've been fooled by that one twice. In fact I check exhaust for blockage pretty early on now.
I consider that to fall under compression, in other words, the condition of the piston and rings. Muffler off is right after pulling the sparkplug and checking for spark or a wet-flooded condition.

What about those junky Husqapoulans that bring the threads out when you take off the muffler bolts??
Gotta love that...
After my 361 quit the other day, a friend lent me his fairly new Husky 240 since I didn't want to do a lot of limbing with my 660, and man, that saw was tuned screamy LEAN. He said that was the way he got it. Went to adjust it and -- nopey, need a special spline tool to adjust the jets. Back to humping the 660 since I didn't want to burn up the saw his son had given him as a gift.

I've had screws pull aluminum threads out of outboard engine lower units, gotta love galvanic corrosion. Where those GRABBER screws at??? :surprised3:

Another thought about the fuel line, as I had it happen to me. I tey to take my 359 out and run it from time to time, almost always take my 390xp with as well. I had a leaner that had blow over and hung up in another tree, root ball and all. Had hooked the winch up, fired the 359 up, went to make a notch in the backside of the tree down near the root ball. Flipped the saw on the starter side to make the cut and it died. Flipped it right side up, fired it up and got about halfway through my first cut and it died again. Fiddled around with it for a wile, the basically threw it in the truck and grabbed the 390xp and cut with that for the day. (I was pretty pissed, the 359 has never failed me) any way, got home and got to messing with it, the fuel line had partially torn right at the fuel filter and had bypassed the filter sucking crap up into the carb. The filter was just so hanging on, I I think it got so half wedged in the tank keeping the saw from getting fuel when I Flipped it over. The fuel line (genuine husqy) was soft and half mushy. Replaced it and cleaned out the carb and back to running good again. Now I take 3 saws with me.... hated using the 390xp all day on and 20" tree, doing all the limb work and everything.

Well ya know Bob, some of us less informed consider what you more informed folks say as near gospel. Satire is a fine art and some folks don’t always get fine art, even with an emoji.

Back