Standing dead ash straight to the stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still getting some dead ash falling in some parts of my woods.
Best wood ever if you are behind in seasoning your stacks!

Did the better part of one this afternoon - need to take some pics :)

We've been wantin a biggun accross the road. It's been dead for ten years at least. It finally blew over last week. Gotta wait till it freezes, now. It's probably 60ft x 4ft.

I finished up splitting the only Ash I had on my property. It had leaves this past summer, but was seriously infected. My pup is my helper:

View attachment 872105

You can see the EAB tracks there just under the bark on this piece:

View attachment 872106

It cut easy, throwing white chips like snow flakes, and split easy too with the x27. I never burned any before, so I'll reserve judgement till I do. I cut 12-16 cord of standing dead Red Oak every year for the last dozen or so, that will be the benchmark

Nice work Jer and thanks for the great pictures.
Man you're a busy guy. Nice stack of Ash there.
I'd say when I think of splitting, that you're the benchmark I try to follow.(lol)
I need to seriously get more wood split to even come close to you.
You and the pup keep up the good work now ya here.

Nice work Jer and thanks for the great pictures.
Man you're a busy guy. Nice stack of Ash there.
I'd say when I think of splitting, that you're the benchmark I try to follow.(lol)
I need to seriously get more wood split to even come close to you.
You and the pup keep up the good work now ya here.
To quote one of my favorite movies "we're not worthy"

But thanks. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthier New Year

I try and get it as soon as it comes down, and taking it right to the house to burn reduces handling. It burns very well if it hasn’t been on the ground long. All of our SW Michigan ash has been standing dead for many years.

All of our SW Michigan ash has been standing dead for many years.
Same in KY. Have 20 acres full of dead ash that needs to come down. The limbs are starting to fall from the tops and my honey walks through the woods every day with our Aussie. One large ash fell whole. It broke about 9 feet above ground level and fell across the walking road. It was already punky.IMG_0950.jpgIMG_0955.jpgIMG_0953.jpgIMG_0949.jpgThe large ash pic with our Aussie posing is the only ash we have living. I have been treating it for the last 6 years for EAB.

have about 6 truck loads of that stuff (ash). It was standing dead and Burns great. My only issue is the amount of “ash” that it creates. Typically, I empty about 5 wheel barrows throughout a burning season. This year , so far, I have emptied 4. Dumb question, Is that how this species got its name? Good stuff but a lot of “ash”.

Dumb question, Is that how this species got its name? Good stuff but a lot of “ash”.
1. The only dumb question is the one not asked.
2. According to Wiki, ash name derived from the word for spear. But yea, makes a lot of ashes!

"Etymology​

The tree's common English name, "ash", traces back to the Old English æsc, which relates to the tree, while the generic name originated in Latin from a word for birch. Both words are also used to mean "spear" in their respective languages, as the wood is good for shafts.[10]"

I've been burning nice dry ash for about 3 years maybe longer. Thats about the only wood I burn since I have so much. It burns nice and has nice heat but it coals a lot. Like a stove load turns into a load of coals. I don't have that issue with other wood. I took down 2 large spruce trees over the summer so i mix a piece of spruce in and that helps burn up the coals. I have to scoop the ash out of the stove every day. I leave a few coals and it gets going again easily. It has its pros and cons but a lot of it came down and got stacked so I might as well use it. I doubt I will burn all the logs I have stacked before they go bad.

Just broke into my ash stash and I forgot how much I liked ash. Produces good heat quick and smells good too. We have started to see the die off from eab these last few years so I’ll burning plenty of it for the foreseeable future.

The ash behind my parents has been standing dead for who knows how long. Bark missing at the base. Some just fall over every year during storms and what not. I've cut it and burned it the same day. All I noticed was if I didnt have a hot coal bed it took a few extra minutes to really get going. I just split a cord of it that I'll use next year.

Latest posts

Back