Start of the small processor build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wnafabrication

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Thought I would start a new post as I have narrowed things down alot since my original post found here.
Hardest job this will do will be 12-16 inch birch on a 6 way splitter.
Motor likely will be an Isuzu 3KC1 3cyl diesel motor (Will be looking at a couple used ones this week) which is rated at 23HP at 3600 RPM, 15HP at 1800 RPM and max torque is at 52Nm or 38ftlbs at 2000RPM. I was planning to run the final shaft RPM of the saw drive at 7000-9000 RPM with a 12 tooth .404 chain making about (7000*.067*12=5600ft/min)(9000RPM=7200ft/min) of chain speed. If I run the motor at 2800 RPM that gets me right around the 1:3 Final drive ratio so that calculates out to 17.33Nm but realistically probably around 15.
Other stuff
28 GPM 2 stage Hydraulic Pump (maybe an auxillary if enough power)
Auto Cycle split valves with power beyond (have a live deck and infeed that will be integrated)
Manual saw arm (for now)
Belt drive saw
4" x 1.75"Rod x 24" Cylinder
25 Gal Tank W suction filter (Or smaller if the motor has an oil cooler)

Looking for some input as to that motor's abilities in this scenario. Plenty? Not enough?
Bar length suggestions (Was thinking a 21" SpeedMax XL) and a 12 Tooth gear

I have got to this point thanks to alot of input and alot of my own digging, so any advice or comments good or bad are really appreciated thanks!

Will that diesel be happy running at 2800 plus RPM's?
Build the frame work as if you are going to drive a tank over it is my only bit to offer at this time.
One question though, are you going to run a jackshaft and have the pump belt driven?

Will that diesel be happy running at 2800 plus RPM's?
Build the frame work as if you are going to drive a tank over it is my only bit to offer at this time.
One question though, are you going to run a jackshaft and have the pump belt driven?
I do not have a tank but I know what you mean haha.
No idea if it will be happy, but those motors have a 3600 RPM power rating so I thought 2800 should be ok... If the torque will be more than sufficient, it would be better to slow it down for sure. That same series of motor is also put into boats so unless the internals are different, it should be ok.
The pump will be ran directly connected to the motor. The motor I am looking at already has a pump mount and pump attached (Came off a de-icing unit at an airport apperantly)

Back when I worked on a lot of trailer reefer units they used the Isuzu a lot and they seemed to be a solid built motor. I would just run the engine wide open so you have the 3600 RPM for the two stage pump and do the gearing with jack shafts to run the saw. I would consider a five inch cylinder since you going with a multi wedge. I would built it strong as those multi wedges love to break splitter's. Good luck with the build and post lots of pictures. Love home built equipment.

Awesome! Thanks for the information as it’s pretty tough to find consistent numbers on these things.
As soon as you said jackshaft gearing my mind went hillbilly and thought about a snowmobile gear case haha.

Back