Starting a small bundling business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snyder191

Reaction score
What's up guys I'm new to the whole firewood game I've been cutting down trees and splitting for a couple years now. I'm interested in getting into the firewood bundles part of business I'm currently making a bundler based on some pictures I saw on here. I have saws, splitters, wedges, axes and all that stuff but what should I prepare myself for if I want to start selling bundles?

Insurance
Workers Comp
Taxes
Get an EIN from the IRS
I'd recommend an LLC, but seek legal counsel on that...not from an arborist!
Separate bank account. ALL business income goes into that and expenses come out. You can pay yourself out of that if there is any left over.
Do you have a marketing plan?

What's up guys I'm new to the whole firewood game I've been cutting down trees and splitting for a couple years now. I'm interested in getting into the firewood bundles part of business I'm currently making a bundler based on some pictures I saw on here. I have saws, splitters, wedges, axes and all that stuff but what should I prepare myself for if I want to start selling bundles?
PM me if you like. I have been in Twin Peaks for more than fourty years. I do not think there is any body around in Southern California That has any experience with wood. At least have not met any lately. To start with you will need a yard and at least fifty cords of wood. Sadly it is illegal to store wood in the mountins with few exceptions. I went through my directory and counted more thn two hundred people and businesses tht have come and gone since I started. There is a market for bundles though. Thanks

Every new business needs to take care of taxes and insurance if you do not want trouble down the road.

In this area I have never heard of any body looking at taxes and insurance while starting a business. A minimum investment would require at least $10,000 cash up front to start. It would be more likely that one would need $25,000 cash up front to start to call on customers with their bundles. No bank is going to loan to some newbie trying to make a name for themselves. It just takes several years to get going. Thanks

In Texas all bundles sold at retail stores are required to be heat sterilized. Where are you planning on selling them? I would imagine California has the same requirements.
In short no to this line of thought. The biggest requirement is label with measurement and contents. I see all kinds of improvised systems that are anything but professional looking. Here in the mountains it would be illegal to treat wood of any kind for any reason. Probably big jail time. The mountains have no provisions for heavy industry or storage that would fall into this category. Any wood that might be treated would have to be hauled down off the mountain and then back up to the mountain once treated. No one is going to do that. At the moment it looks like there is a huge market for bundled wood but really tough to make a profit. My next door neighbor is a store manager for a quite large grocery store similar to Safeway or Albertsons and he tells me that they have been buying bundled wood for three bucks a bundle. It does not burn but those are details no body asks about. I have been trying to explain that I will deliver bundled wood to the store for six bucks but they say no we will ship our own wood thanks. So when wholesale value is past ten bucks each I will try. Thanks

To clarify, the bundles here aren't treated chemically, but essentially kiln dried... heated to a temp if at least 160°, I believe, to kill any insects or larva. We also have quarantines in some counties to prevent EAB and fire ant spread. Firewood is supposed to be sourced within 50 miles.

To clarify, the bundles here aren't treated chemically, but essentially kiln dried... heated to a temp if at least 160°, I believe, to kill any insects or larva. We also have quarantines in some counties to prevent EAB and fire ant spread. Firewood is supposed to be sourced within 50 miles.
Jolly any wood that is treated can not be treated in the mountains period. Kiln drying wood has no provisions for its use in the mountains. So haul the wood off the mountain and then bring it back. If you are bringing wood into California then it must be certified that it has been treated. Do not even think about bringing any thing into California if you have a CDL or immediate jail time. As far as I know a OP can haul move or transfer wood anywhere with in the state with no issues. I was hauling wood from 300 miles away by truck load after truck load into the mountains all the while going through scales with out a single question. The State and USFS have stated to source wood locally but it does not happen. Our state and federal run camp grounds say to source wood locally but they do not do it. They bring in wood from areas several hundreds of miles away. Thanks

Latest posts

Back