Starting a small tree business?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03machstock

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking to start a small tree buisiness for supplemental income. I hate my current job, and have no way of getting out(we’re not allowed to apply to other jobs within the company). My wife works full time and we can live off that, and we just had our first child. I would watch the kid unless I had some work lined up, in which case a family member would watch for a day or 2. I have all the saws I would need, (660, 461r, 361,026,194t) a diesel 3/4 ton pick up, dump trailer, skid loader. I’m trying to find classes locally (se Pennsylvania) to learn how to climb. I have a buddy that would help me if I needed more than one person on the job (he works a wacky schedule like I do now) and he has the same equipment as me, minus the saws.
So my questions are...
Do I start an LLC and just get liability insurance and I’m good to go? Any advice on this? I’m not looking to grow this into a buisiness to hire employees ect. Just to make some money on the side, and have some fun with my toys, until I can land the job that I really want to do, but am currently not allowed to apply for.
I’m thinking it would be mainly tree removal, tree planting (I have 12” and 36” auger bits for the skid loader) and storm clean up.
Open to all opinions and suggestions,
Thanks!

What do you know about trees?

Get the ISA Certified Arborist study guide and study up.

If you don't you are most likely going to be abusing the trees of people who call you and are trusting in you ability to do the best practice.

What do you know about trees?

Get the ISA Certified Arborist study guide and study up.

If you don't you are most likely going to be abusing the trees of people who call you and are trusting in you ability to do the best practice.
I would not consider myself an arborist by any means, I would not do tree trimming or anything to do with the health of trees, strictly removal as far as that side of it goes. However, I grew up planting lots of trees, and took horticulture class all four years of high school. And I’ll check out that book, thanks.

Curious

you work at a company that disallows you to apply for other jobs within the company? What line of business is that? I've never heard of a company that doesn't want to promote from within the people that know the company.

Nothing specific but just curious.

And good for you trying to get a better life and better income.

I started like you, mostly all removals plus a lot of side hustle. Put out your name to local real estate companies and property management companies. They often need people to do small removals and odd jobs which can expand over time (neighbors to the site you're working on, other real estate companies, contractors etc) Don't turn anything away.

You can take all the classes you want and read all the books you want but nothing is going to beat you actually climbing to get the feel of it. Some can do it, some can't. learn what gear you need and try it on small trees to start. Be careful and get comfortable with it.

good luck :cheers:

I would not consider myself an arborist by any means, I would not do tree trimming or anything to do with the health of trees, strictly removal as far as that side of it goes. However, I grew up planting lots of trees, and took horticulture class all four years of high school. And I’ll check out that book, thanks.

You are on the right path.

You will find that when you start doing sales that clients present all kind of horticultural needs to you. Pruning some almost always is asked about when getting quotes for tree removal.

There is an 'Educated Climber' on Facebook this is a real good place for information. Dozens of good videos on the basics up to very experienced levels.

Curious

you work at a company that disallows you to apply for other jobs within the company? What line of business is that? I've never heard of a company that doesn't want to promote from within the people that know the company.

Nothing specific but just curious.
I’ll send you a PM, don’t want to blast the company publicly.

Edit: it won’t let me send you a message, send me one of your interested.

Thanks for putting this on here. This is the situation I am in. I would like to do the same, I do not need this as primary income, but would like to do it to supplement my retirement income. I really enjoy this work and the particular challenges it presents. Keeps me mentally sharp and physically active

Latest posts

Back