Starting on milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Shooters Apprentice

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey everyone. When I was a kid, we did a lot of saw milling with a chainsaw and I’m wanting to get back into it.
I’m looking at a Holzfforma 066 copy, and one of the Amazon Alaskan mills.
My question for right now is, I already have several rolls of 3/8x.050” chain. Can I use that for milling once the angles are recut with that 066, or should I get some heavier chain and a bar to match?

I've seen a number that use the G660 for milling, and it looks to work well enough for them, but many have also needed to replace parts as they have failed, so be prepared for that as well if you go that route.

If you stick to 36" max, I don't personally see a problem with at least trying the 3/8 .05 chain that you have, but if you are going longer than that, I'd say it is better practice to go with .063 chain, as with the longer bars, they tend to be more readily available in .063.

Good luck! I mill with a 661 and longer bar, so I use .063 (it was the only option for the bar I got). It has been a lot of fun for me, and I really like seeing the grain after making a cut.

I'm a husky guy too, but for milling bigger is better.
There is a train of thought that says 063 oils better than 050 (again, better for milling). Personally I haven't experienced this to any significant degree.
You don't need a heavier chain, you'll get more variation in strength between manufacturers than due to guage.
An advantage of running 050 is as the bar wears you can transition up to 058 & then 063

I run a 394xp and 36" .063" more or less because that's what was available, and cost effective at the time. I don't notice any oiling difference between that and .050"

Back