Sthil 034

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twowithone

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Diagnosing a 034 my BIL sorta gave me long story. But the sprocket says .325 so I matched that up with bar and chain the shop I took it to put wrong bar and chain on it. So this saw is probaly 25 yrs old from what the guys at shop say its got the front tensioner on it so I put the chain on it did the snap test on bottom of chain all good to go Im not into sawin 3 minutes and it binds up that chain will not move when given gas happened to me twice now. When I put the chain on and tension it I make sure it moves forward and backwards easily with no hang ups so this binding of the chain got me wondering could this saw have the wrong sprocket on it or what. Thx for replys

Stihl bar will have length, pitch, and gauge stamped on it. If it's 0.325" pitch should be 0.063 gauge.

My guess is he sold you 3/8 pitch.

Check the clutch drum too, the early bearings grenade. Stihl has an upgrade kit for that.

Heres the pics

Attachments

• IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1453.JPG
    IMG_1453.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1452.JPG
    IMG_1452.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 21
Cutters have 2 stamped on em I didn’t check the bearing yet got to watch that half moon clip they fly when u don’t want them to

Everything seems to be good. .325, .063 b&c. Like was mentioned before check the bearing, notorious in these saws. Check the drum for any wobble. Upgrade to the beefier bearing if you do have the small one. If its not the bearing then you might be engaging the chainbrake by accident.

Took sprocket off bearing seemed ok putting that moon clip on she went flyin but not far and I found it. Put chain back on left a lil bit more slack in it than what I like I’ll run it in some more logs tmorrow and see if she seizes on me in the cut like she did tday.

I'm still in the "picture of the drive sprocket" camp as suggested by @cuinrearview above.
You show a photo of the drive sprocket outer face- but would be nice to see a right angle shot of the spurs that engage the drive links of the chain.
Photo of the chain drive links (with chain off the bar) would be good as well.
An overly worn sprocket can mash up drive links and cause all kinds of binding problems under wide open throttle.

Latest posts

Back