Sthil 045 super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mafun464

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello i just picked up and 045 super. Previous owner said it needs piston rings. And i was wonder where the best place to pick them up or if i can use an 056 cylinder and piston?

Hello i just picked up and 045 super. Previous owner said it needs piston rings. And i was wonder where the best place to pick them up or if i can use an 056 cylinder and piston?
ALL But the Mag II will interchange. Super should be 54mm but as old as it is you should at least pull the muffler and inspect the piston, rings and (and Measure) cylinder. Caber ring are what I would use.. I Would Check for SPARK BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHIN0G. Do some searches On this site and read if you want to taunt the CAD BUG. Welcome to The Arborist Site

ALL But the Mag II will interchange. Super should be 54mm but as old as it is you should at least pull the muffler and inspect the piston, rings and (and Measure) cylinder. Caber ring are what I would use.. I Would Check for SPARK BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHIN0G. Do some searches On this site and read if you want to taunt the CAD BUG. Welcome to The Arborist Site
Has absolutely amazing spark it was the first thing i checked was just hoping the rings had gotten stuck from si/ting bjut bfor the look of the plug he burned up the piston and cylinder.

I would still want to see the piston through the exhaust port to see the extent of damage. Then through the intake. Before you pull the cylinder, a VACUUM then a PRESSURE test will be very helpful to diagnosis why the scoring took place. "USUALLY" it starts with an air leak. Some saws have characteristic weak points. Others get a negligent owner. Some do wear out.

I would still want to see the piston through the exhaust port to see the extent of damage. Then through the intake. Before you pull the cylinder, a VACUUM then a PRESSURE test will be very helpful to diagnosis why the scoring took place. "USUALLY" it starts with an air leak. Some saws have characteristic weak points. Others get a negligent owner. Some do wear out.
Yeah got pretty sad when i pulled the plug and it was almost white.i have a wild feeling that cylinder loose. but i have dug into it to hard yet since i picked it up last night for 120 bucks. Since i was just intrigued by it. Definitely didnt pay much attention since i was surprised by the full wrap handle.

Yeah got pretty sad when i pulled the plug and it was almost white.i have a wild feeling that cylinder loose. but i have dug into it to hard yet since i picked it up last night for 120 bucks. Since i was just intrigued by it. Definitely didnt pay much attention since i was surprised by the full wrap handle.
With A good Light and careful peaking you can see the exhaust side of cylinder wall but removing muffler is best. If you look at the top cover (Orange) there are two elongated slots above the muffler. They are there so you can use a long metric allen wrench to get the top 2 allen bolts out with out having to remove top cover (Sometimes bolts are real tight a punch that fits in socket of bolt with some crisp hammer taps helps break them loose) Easy off but aligning muffler and gasket when reinstalling not so easy.. Exhaust needs to be blocked for vac/press testing and you get a far better view of what is going on.

No clamp that i can see.anitvibe mount arent in the greatest shape. Definitely gonna pop the muffler off when i get to the shop since i have a better light area than my patio. I will get some better pictures when i get there. Thanks for the help so far.

Piston is super scared and av mounts are trashed so time to spend some money. O well should have a fun firewood saw when im done

Piston is super scared and av mounts are trashed so time to spend some money. O well should have a fun firewood saw when im done
You will have a nice firewood saw when it's done. I got a 045 5 cube free when I bought a 797 from a guy. Both were PNW logger barn finds. That 045 runs nice and pulls the 28" bar I put on it easily. It is a smooth, no frills, get the job done saw.

You will have a nice firewood saw when it's done. I got a 045 5 cube free when I bought a 797 from a guy. Both were PNW logger barn finds. That 045 runs nice and pulls the 28" bar I put on it easily. It is a smooth, no frills, get the job done saw.
Yeah figured it be something fun to have. I mean i have a 046 magnum and 066 magnum. Plus enough ms660 powerheads to build 2 complete saws but want some little different

Back