Sthil light bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mafun464

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
What everyone opinion on sthil light bars. I decided to pick up a 28 inch bar with rs chains for giggle.then put it on my 046. So far im enjoying but want hear what you guys think.

Attachments

• 20221208_090624.jpg
    20221208_090624.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1
I bought the same bar with my 462. Haven’t needed the 28 yet so it’s wearing a 20 sugi. Lightweight bars are awesome with the right setup. I’m also running a LW 16” on my ported 261.

I think light weight bars are for sissies with too much money.

I was mainly joking. I can see how they would be nice for long days on the saw, but I personally can't justify the price difference.
Though "light bars" are not for everyone, they do make a difference when packing in for many miles doing tree cleaning on trails. Every reduction in weight is good especially as I age.

I was mainly joking. I can see how they would be nice for long days on the saw, but I personally can't justify the price difference.
If you were cut'n timber on the steep and having to reach out with a 90cc saw spinning a 32" or 36" loop all day every day? I bet you'd justify the price difference real quick come your first pay day! 🤣😂😂😉

If you were cut'n timber on the steep and having to reach out with a 90cc saw spinning a 32" or 36" loop all day every day? I bet you'd justify the price difference real quick come your first pay day! 🤣😂😂😉
I have no doubt! But for me, on flat ground, and being a 6’10” farm kid, I can get the job done with the cheaper bars.

LW'ts are great! 👍If you can afford it? I'd definitely recommend it. Two down falls though to LW'ts. One.☝️ Definitely more delicate than a standard weight bar and require more pampering. Usually 90% of the time, once bent. There toast. No fixing them. Two.✌️ Tips are much more susceptible to throw back. In turn making them much more dangerous for a novice on a power saw. Just my two cents bud. Hope this info helps in your decision! 👍

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

I have no doubt! But for me, on flat ground, and being a 6’10” farm kid, I can get the job done with the cheaper bars.
You don't run anything longer than a 24" or 28" either if I remember correctly? (Or do you?) Witch also makes a huge difference. I ran standard weight bars for years on my saws.👍 I STIHL run them on my saws. I like them both. Standard weight and light weight.

You don't run anything longer than a 24" or 28" either if I remember correctly? (Or do you?) Witch also makes a huge difference. I ran standard weight bars for years on my saws.👍 I STIHL run them on my saws. I like them both. Standard weight and light weight.
I actually generally don’t run anything shorter the 24”, and that’s on the 60cc saws. I have 28 and 36” on my main wood saws, with 32-36 being my favorite.

If I was 6'10" id be running nothing shorter than 36"

PVhiker
you packing on foot or bike.

Ive bent a few heavy weight bars one I left a big fir in hurry kinda left the saw in it.

Another a tree rolled bucking on a hillside and took the saw with it.
Im lucky to be alive learned alot over the years felling and bucking in Situation I shouldn't be.

Bern a few years since I bent a bar. Ive got a 28 and 32 like them both alot. Want to get light but cant decide on wich length.

32 I like felling 28 all around

Back to bending. A guy isnt more likly to bend a light bar over a heavy if hes cutting safely using common sence. If hes not sure what hes doing both bares will bend equually easy.

Latest posts

Back