Stihl 009l - choke not closing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sven556

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I have this old stihl 009l that I have been messing with off and on for quite awhile not and it has been a hard starting saw. For that reason it hasn't gotten much use but it seems like a nice lightweight saw with decent torque. I have narrowed it down to the choke flap not closing all the way. If I put my thumb over the carb it will start in two pulls cold. I even messed with adding some hot glue to the choke flap and now I can start the saw normally using the choke. I don't think the hot glue will last very long. Anyone know what could be keeping the choke from closing all the way on these saws? I have tried two different air filter covers. One thing I am questioning is the gaskets I made for between the reed plate and crankcase, and between the reed plate and carburetor. Maybe the material I used is thinner than OEM and now the choke can't reach the air filter to close... What thickness are the oem gaskets? I could make a new set from thicker material or maybe see if Stihl has them. Thanks!

So I have this old stihl 009l that I have been messing with off and on for quite awhile not and it has been a hard starting saw. For that reason it hasn't gotten much use but it seems like a nice lightweight saw with decent torque. I have narrowed it down to the choke flap not closing all the way. If I put my thumb over the carb it will start in two pulls cold. I even messed with adding some hot glue to the choke flap and now I can start the saw normally using the choke. I don't think the hot glue will last very long. Anyone know what could be keeping the choke from closing all the way on these saws? I have tried two different air filter covers. One thing I am questioning is the gaskets I made for between the reed plate and crankcase, and between the reed plate and carburetor. Maybe the material I used is thinner than OEM and now the choke can't reach the air filter to close... What thickness are the oem gaskets? I could make a new set from thicker material or maybe see if Stihl has them. Thanks!

It is not unusual to have to stack gaskets on an 028, 026, or whatever has the choke in the air filter. Usually it is the control lever won't stay in place because the choke is pushing it back. And, adding a gasket or two when it actually never came with one cures that issue.

So anyway, raising you carb up toward the choke can't hurt.

More than likely your problem involves your air filter. The flap closes on the plastic sealing ring for the choking action to work. I have even seen aftermarket filters with no ring, or ones that are too thin to seal properly.
View attachment 1050973
Yup, in most cases a new original air filter fixes that

I will see if I can get a new oem filter. I am pretty sure the one I have is oem. It came with the saw and the saw used to start with the choke.

Back