Stihl 009L...Couple questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedthro

Double Naught Spy
Reaction score
A buddy gave me a Stihl 009L cause he had it at work for about 5 years saying it wouldn't run. Drained the old fuel, took a propane torch to the plug to clean off the oil and carbon fouling and refilled it with fresh 40:1 fuel. Don't tell anyone, but I sprayed some starting fluid into the carb to flush the old fuel and get fresh into the lines.

About 20 minutes, tweaked the carb and it starts on the first pull. Sharpened the chain and did some test cuts. Got to say I think I'm gonna love this little saw.

So, the questions.

Are parts available? I've done a little searching and it seems there are no aftermarket parts. And it's also looking like stihl no longer supports this thing. What I'm looking for specifically are the fuel lines, carb kits and sprocket, maybe clutch.

What is electronic quickstop? It doesn't really act any different than any other saw I've run. So just curious.

Any input would be appreciated.

A buddy gave me a Stihl 009L cause he had it at work for about 5 years saying it wouldn't run. Drained the old fuel, took a propane torch to the plug to clean off the oil and carbon fouling and refilled it with fresh 40:1 fuel. Don't tell anyone, but I sprayed some starting fluid into the carb to flush the old fuel and get fresh into the lines.

About 20 minutes, tweaked the carb and it starts on the first pull. Sharpened the chain and did some test cuts. Got to say I think I'm gonna love this little saw.

So, the questions.

Are parts available? I've done a little searching and it seems there are no aftermarket parts. And it's also looking like stihl no longer supports this thing. What I'm looking for specifically are the fuel lines, carb kits and sprocket, maybe clutch.

What is electronic quickstop? It doesn't really act any different than any other saw I've run. So just curious.

Any input would be appreciated.
Oil pump parts are hard to get.

Lots of guys like this saw. I help a tree service company that has several more recent top handle saws, but the one that gets used the most is the old 009L. They like the power that it delivers. One time the on/off switch stopped working, but I was able to fix it with some bending. That might be its worst design flaw.

Lots of guys like this saw. I help a tree service company that has several more recent top handle saws, but the one that gets used the most is the old 009L. They like the power that it delivers. One time the on/off switch stopped working, but I was able to fix it with some bending. That might be its worst design flaw.
I do like having a kill switch that I don't have to shift my hand to operate

Latest posts

Back