Stihl 011, 16-inch bar - replace fuel tubing.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuts

Reaction score
I have a Stihl 011AV that is about 20 years old and seldom used. In fact for the last 10 years I hadn't used it until in Feb. this year and was pleasantly surprise to find that it started after maybe 10 pulls. Then today I tried to start it and it wouldn't ... decided to clean the air filter and saw that the fuel tubing was broken in several pieces. It was so brittle that I can't imagine it deterioriating to that level from February. But it did and I have to replace the tubing.

The end where the tubing goes into the carb. is difficult to get to. Can anyone walk me through replacing the tubing? It looks like I will have to remove the carb, but I'm unsure how to do this (I see two big screws on the carb staring me in the face that might be the ones to remove). Secondly in the broken bits of tubing there was a worm screw. What is its purpose? It is a tight fit in the tubing and looks as though it will completely block the flow of fuel.

Thanks for your help.

Chuts said:
I have a Stihl 011AV that is about 20 years old and seldom used. In fact for the last 10 years I hadn't used it until in Feb. this year and was pleasantly surprise to find that it started after maybe 10 pulls. Then today I tried to start it and it wouldn't ... decided to clean the air filter and saw that the fuel tubing was broken in several pieces. It was so brittle that I can't imagine it deterioriating to that level from February. But it did and I have to replace the tubing.

The end where the tubing goes into the carb. is difficult to get to. Can anyone walk me through replacing the tubing? It looks like I will have to remove the carb, but I'm unsure how to do this (I see two big screws on the carb staring me in the face that might be the ones to remove). Secondly in the broken bits of tubing there was a worm screw. What is its purpose? It is a tight fit in the tubing and looks as though it will completely block the flow of fuel.

Thanks for your help.
That fuel line is a tuffie to hook up to the carb. Right where it fits at the carb there is one bolt near the fitting that attaches the handle mount to the saw. Those two big screw heads on top of the carb are the carb mounting screws. I always loosen them and raise the carb and attached the fuel line then work it back under that one bolt thats in the way and then screw the carb back down. That lil screw in the line is the tank vent hose, not the fuel line, there are two lines in the carb housing. One is the fuel line, the other is the tank vent. Replace them both while your fooling with it and your set for a long time.

Ah, so there are *TWO* pieces of tubing that need to be replaced! Is there a picture on the web somewhere that will show where they go. If it was only one piece I could figure it out. Is it obvious where the other end of the vent line hooks into? And is it a special material that the tubing must be made of?

So you don't remove the handle bolt completely then?

I was concerned with even slackening the two carb screws ... would I disturb any kind of gasket that would then have to be replaced?

Chuts said:
Ah, so there are *TWO* pieces of tubing that need to be replaced! Is there a picture on the web somewhere that will show where they go. If it was only one piece I could figure it out. Is it obvious where the other end of the vent line hooks into? And is it a special material that the tubing must be made of?

So you don't remove the handle bolt completely then?

I was concerned with even slackening the two carb screws ... would I disturb any kind of gasket that would then have to be replaced?

Well if you want to take a needle nose plier and take that one tap/bolt off that will work to get your fuel line hooked up without bothering the carb screws. Yep there should be another hose coming from the left side of the carb housing up near the tank. Thats your vent hose. Most of them shoot across the carb housing and plug into a hole in the case, right ahead on that one pain in the butt tap/bolt your going to take loose. That hole in the case has a little sponge type filter in it to catch any excess gas. Just look closely at your carb housing and follow the hoses. You will see where they come from.

Just go to your Stihl dealer and ask them to supply you with the proper tubing.

I just noticed you're in Brandon, which I think isnt too very far from me. probably around 60 miles or so.

From the tips given here and on further examination, it seems that it is only the vent tubing that got brittle and disintegrated - piece of the tubing had a worm screw in it. This would explain why the saw was able to start last Feb. wouldn't it? And of course the vent tubing is the more difficult one of the two to change. Where it goes into the carb is right close to the nut that is part of the handle attachment and the fuel tubing runs right over it.

I'll be heading down to the local Stihl dealer today to get some tubing.

Thanks for the help here.

Back