Stihl 015 Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoutii304

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I joined recently because I've had my dad's Stihl 015 for about a decade, and I'm ready to spruce it up a little. I got it running pretty well at one point, but put it up because it didn't seem to be oiling very well. I got it out of storage a couple months ago intending to replace the pump or a worn out gear, but I found everything in decent condition. I took off the fuel/oil tank cover and found one of the oil pickup tubes pretty deteriorated. I believe that, plus a lot of fine sawdust clogging the oil passages is what caused the initial problem.

But now it's in pieces, so why not clean it up and get it running and cutting well, right?

I've looked around and found pretty much every part I'll need, but I'm curious about a couple things:

1. Would it be worth converting to ⅜ so the saw can be more useful in the future, or just leave it as-is and hope I can find/afford ¼ chain?

2. Same question but electronic ignition. I'll need a replacement coil because the spark plug boot fell off without much force. I've found used OEM with points for reasonable money, and lots of new coils plus electronic modules for a little more. Even if it will only see very limited use, I'd like it to run well. Has anyone done an electronic ignition swap on an old points saw and have any input?

I look forward to your replies and thank you all in advance for any help!!

Attachments

• Polish_20210525_090140164.jpg
    Polish_20210525_090140164.jpg
    968.3 KB · Views: 5
I wouldn't worry about points vs electronic ignition, points almost never go bad while coils are more prone to issues. As for 1/4 pitch chain, Stihl still uses that on pole saws and similar stuff, I can't imagine finding it will become an issue.

Excepting the Bendix Scintilla magnetos used on ‘50s Remington Logmasters, I’ve never failed to get spark going again on a points system.

Just grind and polish the contact surfaces, set the gap, and it will be good to go.

[emoji106]

Plus, the old magnetos make a fatter spark at cranking speed.

Back