Stihl 015 seal and other questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2StrokeFondler

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi fellas and fellettes.

I have this very complete 015 which will go on my shelf to look good, until I sell it. Or give it away. Now my questions:

1.) Is it possible to change the crankshaft seals without disassembling the whole thing? It's a clamshell design after all. I have the OEM Stihl puller. As far as I can tell, there is nothing stopping the seals going out, like e.g. on a 025.

2.) Would you change the crankshaft seals preemptively on a white body Stihl 015? I'm pretty sure they are original, so they should be over 40 years old. They look good, and hold 0,7 bar pressure and vacuum. I pulled the clutch and flywheel, so the crankshaft is easily accessible, and I might as well change them while I'm at it. If it's possible without disassembling it completely.

3.) Has anybody tried this 3d printed gear: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:518513 ? Mine is 1/4'', but I'd like to go 3/8'' low profile if possible. I need a new clutch drum anyways, the old one is junk.

4.) I need a bar and chain. I don't like the look of the current Stihl bars on this old 015. Are there other brands that look a bit more old school? Maybe with a tip that's not as pointy? Available in Europe?

5.) Any experiences with an aftermarket ignition module? I have good spark with points, but a new ignition module isn't that expensive.

5.) Unrelated: is the carb on this thing huge, or what? Not the venturi, but the metering side is just massive.

Thank's in advance.

Back