Stihl 015.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So here's the situation. I was helping an friend clean out her shed. Tools abound. I will mention that she is a widow. Anyway we managed to clear a path and got to the back of the shed. Well there was the 015 that had been sitting for many years. She was going to have a yard sale to clean out the shed and hopefully put a few $$$ in her pocket. Anyway, she asked me it I wanted it, so being a member with an active case of CAD, I took it. To cut through the lard to get to the ham, the saw has great spark, and now it is running. It even oils. The problem I now have inherited is the chain spinning all the time. The clutch bearing is fine. I went to my local Stihl dealer and asked if he could order the clutch spring for the 015. Reply, no longer available. Anyway I figured I would see if anyone could point me in the right direction to locate one. The idle is set so low that the engine will stall if it was set any lower. Anyway the 015 is now resting comfortably besides the 025 and grandpa the 041.Any information on the spring would be helpful. Thanks, Ken

Make sure that the sprocket meshes correctly with the oil gear.
The clutch sprocket as two sets of teeth. The outboard side is to drive the chain and the smaller gear drive the plastic gear that meshes with the oil pump, the white plastic gear is in near new condition All meshes to get her and working and oiling well. I have reason to suspect that the clutch may have been over heated sometime in the past, causing the spring to loose it's temper, thereby engaging the clutch to early.

The Stihl 015 clutch spring part number is 0000 997 1509, BUT there are a couple of whole clutches on eb*y for a bit more than $20 each.

You could check to see if there is grunge buildup between the shoes and the center carrier, this would keep the shoes from seating down. And check to see if the flat washer behind the clutch is still there. Number 8 on the attached IPL page.

Stihl 015 001.jpg

The Stihl 015 clutch spring part number is 0000 997 1509, BUT there are a couple of whole clutches on eb*y for a bit more than $20 each.

You could check to see if there is grunge buildup between the shoes and the center carrier, this would keep the shoes from seating down. And check to see if the flat washer behind the clutch is still there. Number 8 on the attached IPL page.

View attachment 921828
SS,I got the saw yesterday and the first thing I did was remove the clutch and spring. All appeared normal. Hardly any debris in the clutch area. The chain will stop but the engine idle so low that it is very close to stalling. And yes the washer is behind the clutch with the raised area facing the clutch. As for Ebay, I was taken for few hundred $$$ and I swore that I will never do business with them again. Thanks for your assistance.

Well. I wood like to thank everyone for there replies. As I had a clutch for a 009 amongst all the other bits and pieces floating around. Only difference is that you need a punch to knock it off instead of a socket. I raised the idle and now am ready to see if the clutch will hold. Thanks for all the replies, Ken

I think you will find that a clutch from a 09,010,011, 012, will screw right on there and work fine.
And as I found out, a clutch from the 1129 series saws will also fit. I have one and tried it on my 015 and it screwed on.

Latest posts

Back