Stihl 019t bogging in cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edmxz2002

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I got a box of parts in a trade and was able to re-assemble what turned out to be a Stihl 019t. It came with a new piston and ring and new crank seals. I ultrasonic cleaned the carb. The diaphrams looked good so I reused them.
The saw starts and idles nice. Its slow to come up to speed but seems to run good after getting there. 2 seconds after it touches the wood, it bogs and almost stalls. This one only has the low speed and idle screws. no H screw. I have played with the low screw and can get it to come up to speed a little faster with the L screw a little more than the recommended 1 turn from lightly seated. Still bogs and sputters when trying to cut.
Has anyone had this problem and know what the solution could be?
What I know so far
Compression feels good, saw hangs on the starter without dropping, clean smooth cylinder bore, new piston and ring, new crank seals, clean carb, good looking spark, Fresh fuel, new fuel filter.

Any help or guidance will be appreciated.

Ed

Thanks for the replies.
I will pull it apart today. The fuel line isn't bad. It's not mushy, but was still very flexible. I will order a carburetor kit and check the impulse ports.
Is there a carburetor with H and L settings that will fit on this saw?

Ed

I took it apart and cleaned the carburetor again. After reassembly, when filling the fuel tank, I noticed the fuel filter was floating on the fuel. It ran great when the tank was full but started bogging again after 20 minutes. The fuel tank was a little less than 1/4 full and the fuel filter wasn't fully submerged. I filled the tank and it ran great again. I removed the filter and slipped a 1/4" nut over the fuel line to weigh down the filter. Runs great now.

Ed

Back