Stihl 024 (1995) rebuild...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seána23

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all.
My beloved saw... stihl 024 started doing that "running for a few seconds and dying" thing a few months ago....
I've had this saw for over 25 years now and love it... its been amazing.....
Ive stripped it down to replace the impulse line..
Fitted a new Waldron carb.
I rebuilt it and it still doesn't run....
When I was trying to start it the other day fuel was being pushed out through the rubber "one way" breather plug at the top of the fuel tank...
Could there be too.much pressure?
With easy start it runs for a second and then dies...
Do I need to adjust the carb or are they set in the factory?
What settings should I adjust it to?
The coil gap i set at about .75-1mm
The spark seems bright...
Ideas?

What was wrong with the impulse line that it needed replace, without everything else rubber needing replaced at the same time?
Blocked/broken fuel line/ clogged filter would be my first culprit to inspect. Followed by spark arrestor screen in the muffler.
Are the running conditions (or lack of running) the exact same as they were before the Walbro was replaced with a Waldron :reading:?

I imagine, given the age of 024's nowadays it could probably be time for a full rebuild including seals and bearings. Pressure and vac testing the case and cylinder would be a good idea- before any air leak trashes the top end while you experiment.
Hope you did not toss the old carb- odds are it is still good to go with a kit and a clean, especially if symptoms are the same after a replacement carb was fitted. ;)

Well,.long story short...
It developed this "running for a second and dying" fault....
I tried spark plugs
I cleaned the filter and got a new gauze..
These didn't help...
I spoke.to a friend who had a similar issue and fixed it with a new carb..
So I got one...
Took off the Stihl original and replaced it with a Walbro carb.. (not Waldron (blame my predictive text))
I fitted that and checked the boot for holes or splits...
Didnt work, but would fire up on easy start, so I thought maybe the fuel wasn't getting into the carb.. so.i stripped.it and saw a small.split in the Impulse line... so I replaced that...
Rebuilt it and still no joy...
The fuel line seemed OK so I didn't replace that.. however, when immersed in fuel,.it seemed a little.squashy.....
But I did clean the filter and the ceramic core out. Also.i never found a spark arrestor... maybe years ago.it was removed, but I couldn't find reference to one in any.manuals for a 1995 model like.mine...
I don't have a compression tester to check compression... however, there is plenty power.needed to pull the starter cord.. and the cord Will hold the saw without it falling if held.in the air....
Also I don't have access to a compressor to do a "leak down test"...
I have kept the carb for the reason you stated... its clean and actually I.put it back on again and still no joy..
So, piston seemed.ok (rings not welded into the grooves or Piston and barrel badly scored).
Theres fairly Good compression..
Spark seems fine...
*Theres a question over the fuel line...*
*And a compression test and leakdown test would be beneficial...*
And it doesn't have a.spark arrestor...
And other than that, I'm stumped...

Well,.long story short...
It developed this "running for a second and dying" fault....
I tried spark plugs
I cleaned the filter and got a new gauze..
These didn't help...
I spoke.to a friend who had a similar issue and fixed it with a new carb..
So I got one...
This is a Walbro carb..
I fitted that and checked the boot for holes or splits...
Didnt work, but would fire up on easy start, so I thought maybe the fuel wasn't getting into the carb.. so.i stripped.it and saw a small.split in the Impulse line... so I replaced that...
Rebuilt it and still no joy...
The fuel line seemed OK so I didn't replace that..
But I did clean the filter and the ceramic core out...
I don't have a compression tester to check compression... however, there is plenty power.needed to pull the starter cord.. and the cord Will hold the saw without it falling if held.in the air....
Also I don't have access to a compressor to do a "leak down test"...
I have kept the carb for the reason you stated... its clean and actually I.put it back on again and still no joy...
Check the muffler- in particular the spark arrestor screen- if it is clogged with carbon- exhaust gasses cannot get out and the saw will not continue to run, but choke and die.
While it is off, show us photos of the piston and ring grooves through the exhaust port.

You do not use a compressor for a pressure/vac test- you use those to blow grime off the exterior of your saw only.

If you do not have the tooling or knowhow to perform the tests, strip the saw down to exposed cylinder and take it to a service shop and have them do a leakdown test on it..

Check the muffler- in particular the spark arrestor screen- if it is clogged with carbon- exhaust gasses cannot get out and the saw will not continue to run, but choke and die.
While it is off, show us photos of the piston and ring grooves through the exhaust port.

You do not use a compressor for a pressure/vac test- you use those to blow grime off the exterior of your saw only.

If you do not have the tooling or knowhow to perform the tests, strip the saw down to exposed cylinder and take it to a service shop and have them do a leakdown test on it..

Attachments

• 20210501_173245.jpg
    20210501_173245.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 19
  • 20210501_173125.jpg
    20210501_173125.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 20
  • 20210501_173152.jpg
    20210501_173152.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 20
There is no spark arrestor... nothing at all.is in the exhaust....
I've never seen one on it and I've had the saw since 2002...
Yeah,.I stripped.it back this evening so the cylinder, removed the handle, carb, exhaust etc are already off..
I better put the starter cord back on for a compression test eh?
I'll find a shop that can help with those tests.
Many thanx for your help Bob...

Could still be a compression thing- does it start easy when you first fire it up?
Or do you have to pull like 20 times, it fires, runs for a few seconds and dies?
Is their fuel starting to drip out the exhaust when you have tried to start it for a long time and pulled the rope a LOT?

Saws are pretty simple- fuel and air mix (new carb should have that sorted if you have not fiddled with it) , compression and spark.
Could also be a coil issue- but it is more likely the saw will run until hot, die and not start until the crook coil cools down.

You could try a teaspoon full of oil down the plug hole, swill it about a bit and then reinstall the plug, try to start the saw- if it fires up, smokes like a Squaddie in N.I. in the 1980's but continues to run- compression is your problem (or rather lack of it).

Find a shop, tell them what you have done, ask for a compression check first and then a leakdown test.

No, its impossible to start... I am utterly pooped after about 10 pulls...
With easy start it fires after a pull or two but dies once its evaporated...
No fuel from exhaust ever, however fuel seemed to be pushing past the oneway breather plug on top of the tank when I was trying to start it a few days ago.....

With easystart- you will ruin the saw quick smart.
It burning ether and no oil will cook things up pretty quickly- STOP doing that or you will have nothing left worth repairing.

So we can count out spark, timing and probably compression- sounds like fuel delivery.
You have the fuel line and the impulse lines connected correctly?
Can you confirm there is fuel getting to the carb?
If you try and start the saw WITHOUT easystart- does the plug become wet with fuel?

Maybe it is as simple as a new fuel line after all...
Maybe its squashing under pressure and cutting the flow off......
Hmm I can't say if the.plug was wet..
I'll rebuild and check that..
Or check it after the leakdown and compression tests..
I'll also try the syringe trick and see what happens.
Thanx again Bob
And dmb too. I'll do that, in fact, I've jus ordered a new fuel line..
X

Latest posts

Back