Stihl 024 Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys for all of your help! It seems that the verdict is that the cylinder and piston are good. 🙂 I got a few really good laughs from you guys, especially the one about growing potatoes! 🤣 You have to remember, this is my dad's saw and, unbeknownst to me, it road around in the back of my dad's truck for a few months. He does landscape maintenance (so do I) so the back of his truck is always full of cut grass. That's why it looks like it was cutting grass. I did my best to clean it up tonight, but with the high temp today being 8° I didn't have access to an air compressor. I did the best I could. Come spring when it warms up I'll give it a better cleaning. Last night when I changed the fuel line I noticed that on the carb where the other hose goes into it, there is a red sort of cone shaped gasket on the barb that is cracked. I'm guessing that it is not sealing very well because of that. Do you guys think that could be part of the problem? Is that the impulse line that you guys have mentioned? Thanks for all of the help! I really appreciate it!
Courage

Thanks guys for all of your help! It seems that the verdict is that the cylinder and piston are good. 🙂 I got a few really good laughs from you guys, especially the one about growing potatoes! 🤣 You have to remember, this is my dad's saw and, unbeknownst to me, it road around in the back of my dad's truck for a few months. He does landscape maintenance (so do I) so the back of his truck is always full of cut grass. That's why it looks like it was cutting grass. I did my best to clean it up tonight, but with the high temp today being 8° I didn't have access to an air compressor. I did the best I could. Come spring when it warms up I'll give it a better cleaning. Last night when I changed the fuel line I noticed that on the carb where the other hose goes into it, there is a red sort of cone shaped gasket on the barb that is cracked. I'm guessing that it is not sealing very well because of that. Do you guys think that could be part of the problem? Is that the impulse line that you guys have mentioned? Thanks for all of the help! I really appreciate it!
Courage
If it’s not the fuel line, then it’s the impulse. If that’s leaking then your carburetor will lose the pumping action from the motors compression strokes.

Last night I dropped to my knees, as I felt weak, I felt a strong disturbance in "the Force".
Someone, somewhere was working on a dirty saw, and posted a few pics of his project online, and all of the little Jedis were furiously typing.....
Too funny Harley, Actually, after going back through the pics again, I think that saw has a mouse nest built in it. LOL Look for the little Jedis. If you find any, run like hell. I hate those little buggers.
OT

If it’s not the fuel line, then it’s the impulse. If that’s leaking then your carburetor will lose the pumping action from the motors compression strokes.
Take a pic. Use thumbnail instead of full pick. Never seen an impulse line that was red. What I work on are always black. Could have been worked on before though and someone used aftermarket.
OT

Got my 024 back from the fix-it guy, a few years back, and it would start and run about five seconds then quit, not start again for quite a while.

Fix-it guy had somehow managed to pinch the fuel line under the carburetor (no, I don't know how that is possible).

Hey guys, sorry, I thought I had responded already... I don't have time to go get a picture right now, but I'll try to over the weekend. I think I described the impulse line wrong. It is black, but it has a red cone shaped gasket that is on the end of the line between the carb and line. The gasket thingy is cracked. Do you guys think that could be part of it? I still will replace the whole line though. Thanks for all of your help!

Latest posts

Back