Stihl 024AV Oil Tank Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Targa

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to refresh my 35 year old Stihl 024AV chainsaw I bought new in the mid 1980's and have some questions about the oil tank. Specifically, the part of the case on the clutch side just below where the oil pump mounts. There are two open cut outs and since there is no seal or plugs to close those openings I wonder whether oil is likely to spill out of the tank when the saw is tilted to the right as in cutting a tree stump flush with the ground? I'm speculating that the area under the cut outs is part of the oil tank?

IMG_2616.JPG

I'm asking because the last time I used the saw there seemed to be a excessive amount of oil pooling under the saw after shutting it off and setting it down on the floor until the next time I used it.

I've attached a photo of the area with red arrows pointing to the cut out openings. I apologize if I didn't add the photo correctly.

I'm a new member to this forum and would appreciate any input and information about my questions.

Thank you.

Latest posts

Back