Stihl 025 quirks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's see some good pics of that bar tail. I see some wear at the collar of the bar studs, which might indicate a problem.
Also, just run the saw without the bar/chain/cover, and watch the oil flow.

Let's see some good pics of that bar tail. I see some wear at the collar of the bar studs, which might indicate a problem.
Also, just run the saw without the bar/chain/cover, and watch the oil flow.
Oil seems to flow OK out onto the bar and lubricate the chain, it's more that it's a slow leak. Because I had them as part of a rebuild/service kit, I put in a new oil line and pick-up filter yesterday, too, so we'll see if that has any effect. It didn't look to be in bad shape, but it's hard to tell if it could have been seeping out around the grommet-type area where it connect to the oil reservoir. Photo of the tail-end of the bar attached if you can see anything interesting there.Bar_Tail_End.jpg

Where are you seeing‘ the extra holes? All I see is slightly recessed/dirty spot welds.
All the 025 and/or 250 bars I own do not have those "dirty spot welds". They looked like holes to me. I have to wonder what they were spot welding and why. I still suggest that he try another newer bar and see if the leak persists.

All the 025 and/or 250 bars I own do not have those "dirty spot welds". They looked like holes to me. I have to wonder what they were spot welding and why. I still suggest that he try another newer bar and see if the leak persists.
Those spot welds welds hold together the three steel plates that make up a laminated guide bar. Here's a picture I stole that shows the many spot welds on a laminated Stihl bar. I do agree that it couldn't hurt to try a new bar, though.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/360727653214-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

Those spot welds welds hold together the three steel plates that make up a laminated guide bar. Here's a picture I stole that shows the many spot welds on a laminated Stihl bar. I do agree that it couldn't hurt to try a new bar, though.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/360727653214-0-1/s-l1000.jpg
Thanks for the clarification. My error. I also did find a vintage 18" Farm Boss bar hanging above my bench that is packed with spot welds all over the bar. There must be thousands of bars made like that out there.

I was hoping to see the slot/tail condition without a chain in it, to see the condition/splay/etc...
That may be part of the reason just drips off the back, instead of staying in the bar with the chain.

Back