Stihl 025 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowawoodguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm no expert when it comes to chainsaws so hopefully you guys can help. This was my dad's old saw (maybe my grandpas)that has been sitting on a shelf for the last 8 or 9 years. I think somebody ran it over. The bar is bent and I think the gas tank is cracked. The oil tank has a chunk missing and the chain brake handle is busted off but still works. I can get it to start and run for about 5 seconds before it cuts out. I cleaned the air filter and it still does it. Do you guys think its toast, or worth saving?
It looks like a gas & oil housing is about 45 plus shipping, 10 for the chain brake handle, and a new bar, plus whatever it would cost to get the saw to actually run. Also, does the 025 take the same bar and chain as a 170? And would a 18 inch bar be better on it? Looks like its a 44cc saw.20210418_103016.jpg
20210418_103024.jpg20210418_103712.jpg20210418_103422.jpg

These aren't bad saws at all and worthy of a rebuild, sometimes. Not yours in my opinion, unless you are personally connected to the saw and don't mind putting more into it than it is worth. That being said there are plenty around that would buy it as a parts saw from you I'm sure.

Get out a BFH and get that bar straight. If the groove is pinched hammer it out with a screwdriver. Straighten the bent handlebar and clean and JB weld the open area in the tank. Now rebuild the carburetor and go to cutting..

Get out a BFH and get that bar straight. If the groove is pinched hammer it out with a screwdriver. Straighten the bent handlebar and clean and JB weld the open area in the tank. Now rebuild the carburetor and go to cutting..
Don't forget the cracked fuel tank. It's worth a try I guess if you're starving for a project. If it truly got run over I'd question potential air leaks from anywhere. I've gotten upside down too many times on saws like this. Just saying I'd pass.

@Iowawoodguy
What’d you end up doing with the saw? I have an 026 Pro with bearings shot but saw runs ok (for now). Want to keep it running but would probably be better off selling as a parts saw.

If you want to fix that saw, I suggest setting up an email notification on Craigslist to tell you when an 021, 023 or 025 is listed. They are popular saws. Often sell on Craigslist cheap, since many homeowners can't or will not fix something. But want to sell it for a few $ instead of dumping it in the trash (for $0).
If you don't want to wait, put an ad on Craigslist looking for a broken one.
Last summer I picked up an 021 and 025 for $15 and $20.

Back