Stihl 026 bar size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welderman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just picked up a clean used 026 for cheap. But somehow the bar got a little bend in it. I was wondering if i should get a new 16" or can it handle a 18"? I would like an 18 but not sure if its to much. I will be giving the saw to my brother it will be used for homeowner use.if

I have used 16 .325 to 20in 3/8 on numerous 026's. Liked the 20 for less back bending when bucking, but prefer 60cc saws for 20in as they have ample power to utilize the full length of the bar efficiently. 20in on an 026 isn't straining the saw until you get into using a majority of the bar length in harder woods. 16Inch is a bit pepper on acceleration and easier to keep sharp. What ever bar makes it easier on the operator is the bar to be using. If the saw is used often for extended times it is nice to have different lengths to match to the job and for backup should 1 fail.

I run a 16" .325" with a 8 pin on must of my 026X saws because I have an "unlimited" supply of chain loops I traded for.
I would agree with previous posts that 16 or 18" is optimum, but I would use a 7 pin drive if I was pulling 3/8" chain.
Not to ky jack this thread, would I be able to run a 24" bar and a skip tooth chain. Also would I run into any chain oiling problems??

@pafire I have a red lever 026 as well as an ms260. Both run 24" 3/8 pitch with no oiling issues whatsoever. They both oil plenty. Not sure if you're running .325 or 3/8 pitch. I always assume people are cutting "bar length" wood. If not then the following changes. In my opinion the following are appropriate bar lengths on these saws, providing one is using standard 3/8 pitch chain.
•Stock - 18"
•Muffler mod & timing advance - 20"
•Aforementioned + cyl. port work - 24"
If it doesn't see bar length use and is just for limbing/small dia. wood, one will pull a 24 inch, but it's pretty much a "no go" if stock without muffler mod and/or bump in ignition timing. Just one man's opinion of course.

I use a 20" and it kicks butt. Why not just straighten the existing bar, not hard to do at all unless it's twisted. Clamp it to workbench or put it in a vice and bend away. You have nothing to loose!

026 is good for 30" wood with a 16"

I would not run a 24" I have a 18" on my 026 I rarely use the saw because most wood I cut is 20- 40" . I modtly use one saw a 70cc with 28" 25" also works.
Kinda the same difference between 16 and 18 on 50cc they do the same thing so id choose 16".

My first saw Was 60cc I let it go 12 years ago. Its not super Handy with a 24 felt about right with a 20 but then 20" is falling aufull close to doing the same thing as 18.

See where im going with this. Small saws want short bars and fit in cars and jeep better that couple inches less in length sometimes is very Handy when packing. Much handier than the same saw with a longer bar n not really enough grunt to pull it.

I ran an 18” .325 on my 260 for years and it was great when it was my only saw. I put a 16” on last year and love it for my smaller stuff. 20” might be more than it would like.

I run a 16" bar on my 026, .325 chain with 7 pin rim and an early "open can" 024 type modded muffler, if I need a bigger bar I will use my 372 with it's 20" bar.

I tend to agree with several others posts; 18" for this saw is a good all around size/fit. If you're cutting smaller stuff the 16" works well and the saw is easier to handle. It will pull a 20" with a good sharp chain on it but will lose some rpm's.

Latest posts

Back