Stihl 026 dies when tilted forward

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbo917

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 026 that dies when you tilt the saw forward when idling. Every other direction is no problem and when Reved up it is no problem either. For the rest the saw runs great. I did a carburetor cleaning and rebuild but it is stil the same. Full fuel tank or empty it makes no difference. Somebody any ideas what could cause this?

good to know. i have an 026. never exp'd that issue, though. if it was mine, i would just raise the idle to just under chain movement... and clear it first before tilting saw off idle fwd. or idle and then with the saw ready to cut, get down to business...

hope the posts help you tb

What's your compression like? I found that bumping compression can help lessen the fuel pooling annoyance.

Also, look at the fuel line, see if it is overly soft and gummy, or has cracks.
My 026 was my first saw, bought new in 1994. When it finally began to start up poorly, or run terribly, this is what I found. Gummy fuel lines. Impulse line especially. Replaced the lines and filter, installed new OEM carb too. My ratonale was for less than $30, a new one would run the saw as it should, unlike a 25 year old carb that was possibly gunked from the goopy rubber of the old fuel lines.

Curious though about this symptom pioneerguy600 mentions on 026's

This is a known problem on the 026, the fuel puddles in the area the manifold connects to the cylinder and when tipped forward the fuel dumps into the crankcase as a liquid and floods the engine out.
I can picture this phenomenon as the saw runs and fuel is delivered. Just need confirmation in my question above.

I can picture this phenomenon as the saw runs and fuel is delivered. Just need confirmation in my question above.
Inside the intake port on the cylinder right before the plating there is a valley that puddles fuel. Tuning the L slightly lean gets rid of most of it like mentioned

Inside the intake port on the cylinder right before the plating there is a valley that puddles fuel. Tuning the L slightly lean gets rid of most of it like mentioned
huskihl, if I may ask, did Stihl ever figure this out and modify how the cylinders were made in later years of the run of this saw? I ask because I have 2-926's and bought 2- 1111 series saws, 051 and 075. Both 1111 saws needed new top ends and possibly new bottoms as well to ensure no crank sloppiness and bearing seal leakage.

But, as I told pioneerguy600, my new OEM 075 cylinders and pistons are really different in construction and how the piston windows are shaped. Makes me wonder why the changes.

huskihl, if I may ask, did Stihl ever figure this out and modify how the cylinders were made in later years of the run of this saw? I ask because I have 2-926's and bought 2- 1111 series saws, 051 and 075. Both 1111 saws needed new top ends and possibly new bottoms as well to ensure no crank sloppiness and bearing seal leakage.

But, as I told pioneerguy600, my new OEM 075 cylinders and pistons are really different in construction and how the piston windows are shaped. Makes me wonder why the changes.
I’m not certain on any of that. But it’s not really much of a problem if you lean out the L a little bit and turn the idle up. I can’t imagine it was worth making a change to the engine

Back