Stihl 026 headache

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to have you a board this mighty ship of saw addiction.
Kash
TY Kash - Only got a saw when I ripped out my old Coleman oil stove and replaced it with a Jotul. Didn't want to buy wood, so got a saw instead (Efco 156). Trouble is, it's given me no trouble at all in the 14 years or so I've been running it. So no learning. I'm sure the collection will provide that. Never even taken a motor apart to replace pistons or rings. May as well disassemble one of them completely to get started. Have tools, have time, have hopes!

It's not the type of gauge that matters, it's the location of the Schrader valve and the type of valve that's important. If you don't believe this, try measuring the compression on a 25cc trimmer with an automotive gage using a standard valve located at the gauge and an 8" hose, then do it with a gauge using the special low pressure valve located right at the spark plug hole.
Could you show a pic of the Schrader valve right at the spark plug? Personally I have never seen one and I would think it would be very difficult to get your fingers in there to release pressure in some applications. ie: briggs, tecumseh, kohler, etc. Also the type of gauge does, in my opinion, matter. For example, you won't be able to use a pressure gauge designed for diesel application for a small engine. jmho :cool: OT

Could you show a pic of the Schrader valve right at the spark plug? Personally I have never seen one and I would think it would be very difficult to get your fingers in there to release pressure in some applications. ie: briggs, tecumseh, kohler, etc. Also the type of gauge does, in my opinion matter, matter. For example, you won't be able to use a pressure gauge designed for diesel application for a small engine. jmho :cool: OT
The valve looks like any other valve that you find in your car tire valve stem, the feature that makes it different is the low pressure required to open it and it is identified by a white band around it, when installed, it sits flush with the end of the fixture that screws into the spark plug hole so the pressure is released just like one on a car tire. The gauge doesn't matter as long is it reads accurately from 0 to 160psi.

After reading the two links above, I will have to call bs unless someone can convince me otherwise. The length of the hose (within reason) and location of schrader should not make a difference. Proper technique would make more of a difference. While my job is working on small engines/equipment my training was as a powersports tech.
I have to agree Roger. The hoses used will probably withstand 1000lb psi if not more. Their relevance to the minuscule amount of pressure from a small engine probably can't be measured. An example would be to use a copper tube instead of a hose. The bottom line is that the pressure is held within the gauge itself and not the cylinder or the hose. If the Schrader was at the spark plug, the pressure would be held in the hose and the gauge. That might make a small difference but I don't think so. Kinda like you say. bs jmho :cool: OT

The valve looks like any other valve that you find in your car tire valve stem, the feature that makes it different is the low pressure required to open it and it is identified by a white band around it, when installed, it sits flush with the end of the fixture that screws into the spark plug hole so the pressure is released just like one on a car tire. The gauge doesn't matter as long is it reads accurately from 0 to 160psi.
Picture please? I know what a Schrader looks like. Thanks, OT

I have to agree Roger. The hoses used will probably withstand 1000lb psi if not more. Their relevance to the minuscule amount of pressure from a small engine probably can't be measured. An example would be to use a copper tube instead of a hose. The bottom line is that the pressure is held within the gauge itself and not the cylinder or the hose. If the Schrader was at the spark plug, the pressure would be held in the hose and the gauge. That might make a small difference but I don't think so. Kinda like you say. bs jmho :cool: OT
You are just not understanding the issue, it has nothing to do with pressure in the hoses, it's all about adding the VOLUME of the hose to the volume of the combustion chamber if the valve is in the wrong place.

This whole thread was started Jan 22 by Dieselcamino. Not one pic from him and was asked many times. It has now evolved into a pressure gauge discussion. bs :cool: OT
Maybe he was like me and had problems with his camera. I don't even try to take pics with my new smartphone, I ended up buying a Kodak digital camera to take mine with, plus most of us know what an 026 Stihl looks like without pics...

a palmer wrote:
, I ended up buying a Kodak digital camera to take mine with, plus most of us know what an 026 Stihl looks like without pics...

I did the same. Name brand good digital cameras can be found dirt cheap on fle bay now days
and usually take better pics than a scratched up cell phone and I just leave the camera in the shop. Was bought cheap enough that don't matter if it gets greasy or lost.

And after how many hours , ordering parts on Ebay, to find out it is not the problem, and you still have an old saw. I bet he put in $200 bucks and how many hours in this thing? He would have been better off running down and getting a 4910 ECHO and had a warranty and woudl only be out about $100? .... He also could have taken it down to a good Stihl dealer and it would likely have been cheaper. NO?

Learning how to fix something is also a benefit. You pay for education. I dont have the skills to fix that chainsaw. But i am here paying attention. I have two great running gas saws and two electric. So i would not pay that much for a saw to sit on a shelf.

Latest posts

Back