Stihl 026 to MS260 Air Filter Conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jweier111

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little background. At this point, I have two Stihl 026s. There are a few reasons I'm looking at switching to the MS260 filters.

1. They are bigger, so presumably breathe better
2. I've had terrible luck with AM filters for the 024/026 (I've yet to find one that operates the choke correctly)
3. This may be subjective, but the MS260 filters seem easier to find locally. At least in my area.

So I did some research on how feasible this is. For later model 026's with the short gas tank vent and black switch; it seems relatively easy. Order the filter, block the extra hole, get an MS260 rear cover...move on with life. But for earlier models of the 026 with the tall tank vent and red switch; it's a little more complicated. I've run across a dozen different descriptions of how to adapt the tank vent. But being an IT nerd who spends most of his time writing instructions for tasks; I thought I'd put together a more detailed description of the process. I should also mention this is a work in progress. I have three different tank vent options on their way at this point. So I'll be adding more information to this thread as I have time. For now, let's take a look at what we're dealing with.

1636912726884.png

There are several variations of the filter for the early 026/024. The oldest of which is on the left. It's pretty obvious that this filter was really small. In the middle, we have a later model 026 filter. In this case an AM filter. On the far right is an AM nylon filter for the MS260. Obviously, this isn't the best choice for keeping crap out of the saw. But for the purpose of just getting this specific saw up and running and documenting this process: it was cheap and available. That's a Husky I'm also working on in the background.

1636913022870.png

One of the biggest differences between the older style filters and the MS260 is the integrated choke. On my newer 026 I could not get it to start with an after-market filter. The little arm for the choke was too short. The quick and dirty solution was to take the filter apart and move the choke assembly from the old filter to the new one. Wich wasn't bad, but still annoying.

1636913130261.png

On the newer style filters, the integrated choke comes to a point, and IMHO seals better. I haven't had any trouble with saw starts using an AM MS260 filter on the newer 026. Note the extra hole that needs to be plugged for this application.

As I mentioned on the newer 026 saws, there is a shorter tank vent. It makes adapting to the newer style filter and rear cover more or less a plug-and-play solution. So let's take a look at the specific problems with adapting this to the older style 026 with the tall vent.

1636913445860.png

I borrowed this image from Chainsawr BTW. But this is the style vent on my newer 026. There are other variations of the vent that was used over the corse of the saws production. But while this shorter vent doesn't interfear with converting to a newer filter; it's not interchaingable with the older style tank and vent system either.

1636913606240.png

The MS260 uses a diffrent tank vent as well (pictured above). As I understand it, this vent is also not compatible with the older style 026 vent/tank.

1636913681889.png

So this is the vent we are actually dealling with. It's super tall, and more or less just presses on a nub on the tank.

1636913794877.png

Some of the descriptions I've read stated that you can just cut this vent down to make the MS260 filter fit. I'm not sure how that works. When I measured it, it looks like even when cut down; it will still be about 1/4 inch too tall. So my plan is to work with the parts I've ordered first, find a solution that works, and then circle back to the "cut down" option.

1636914011264.png

With the vent removed, you can see that the new filter otherwise fits fine. So in the coming days as parts arive I'll be adding to this thread. I have three options I'm considering

1. After market generic vent with hose
2. Adapting an MS260 tank vent to fit
3. Modifying the stock "Tall" vent

Option 1 seems to be the easiest solution that others have tied. So that's going to be the first one I attempt once the parts get here. In the meantime I have to rebuild this saws carb. So I'll hopefully be back in a couple days with an update.

One of these style vents on a short piece of fuel line tucked up behind the filter will work in place of the tall black vent.

s-l64.jpg

Parts finally got here yesterday. For the sake of anyone else looking for this information; I figured I'd cover what won't work first. For example, this is a breather listed for the MS260 (something I've read others state elsewhere will work for this application).

1637167194385.png

While it does fit nicely over the tank nipple; there is a problem that disqualifies it.

1637167265902.png

It's slightly too big and jams the switch mechanism. This was a cheap demonstration as I have another saw that actually does use this breather. But hopefully this will help others avoid wasting time.

Now on to what works. As @pioneerguy600 guy mentioned, there is a generic style breather that more or less fits in the nipple on the tank and is low enough not to interfere with the MS260 filter. The model I ordered is listed here:Amazon.

And is nice as it includes fuel hose. Which is necessary to get a snug fit in the breather nipple. All you need to do is cut a small length of hose and put it on the breather.

1637167738279.png

At which point it will fit securly in the tank.

1637167788148.png

As you can see it doesn't interfere with the larger filter.

1637167827108.png

And an AM MS260 rear cover fits nicely at that point too.
1637167887003.png

After this modifciation and a carb rebuild this saw started on the 2 pull. Which is way better than where it was when I picked it up (no start at all).

Originally I planned to go over the process of modifying the tall style breather. But to be honest I can't see where it's worth the trouble. And I'd rather have that part and the OEM top cover available if I decide to sell this saw later. Anyway, hopefully this information is helpful for someone.

Parts finally got here yesterday. For the sake of anyone else looking for this information; I figured I'd cover what won't work first. For example, this is a breather listed for the MS260 (something I've read others state elsewhere will work for this application).

View attachment 942130

While it does fit nicely over the tank nipple; there is a problem that disqualifies it.

View attachment 942131

It's slightly too big and jams the switch mechanism. This was a cheap demonstration as I have another saw that actually does use this breather. But hopefully this will help others avoid wasting time.

Now on to what works. As @pioneerguy600 guy mentioned, there is a generic style breather that more or less fits in the nipple on the tank and is low enough not to interfere with the MS260 filter. The model I ordered is listed here:Amazon.

And is nice as it includes fuel hose. Which is necessary to get a snug fit in the breather nipple. All you need to do is cut a small length of hose and put it on the breather.

View attachment 942132

View attachment 942133

View attachment 942134

View attachment 942135

After this modifciation and a carb rebuild this saw started on the 2 pull. Which is way better than where it was when I picked it up (no start at all).

Originally I planned to go over the process of modifying the tall style breather. But to be honest I can't see where it's worth the trouble. And I'd rather have that part and the OEM top cover available if I decide to sell this saw later. Anyway, hopefully this information is helpful for someone.
From here on/forward I will link this thread and its pics to anyone asking questions regarding tank vents on these saws. I found all this info out the hard way over the years I have dealt with these 026 `s, this thread will be very helpful for those that has not messed with these saws for many years.

From here on/forward I will link this thread and its pics to anyone asking questions regarding tank vents on these saws. I found all this info out the hard way over the years I have dealt with these 026 `s, this thread will be very helpful for those that has not messed with these saws for many years.
Thank you! I'm going to try this out on an 036 I'm working on.

View attachment 942130

View attachment 942131

View attachment 942132

View attachment 942133

View attachment 942134

View attachment 942135

Yes it is. Something I thought of but never looked into. I think you saved me a lot of time!

I think those small vents are echo vents Gerry,are they not?
Keith

Yes but they can be bought from the AM market in bulk at very agreeable pricing.
Good to know.

I'll do AM for some stuff but I won't give Amazon/Bezo a wooden nickel. Anybody know the Echo dealer price? or other good source.

Concerning the AM air filter chokes not working due to poor lever design/manufacture...........I wonder if a blob of JB weld then some work with a dremel file might fix those? I guess if the OEM lever/choke flap would swap the point is moot.

Good to know.

I'll do AM for some stuff but I won't give Amazon/Bezo a wooden nickel. Anybody know the Echo dealer price? or other good source.

Concerning the AM air filter chokes not working due to poor lever design/manufacture...........I wonder if a blob of JB weld then some work with a dremel file might fix those? I guess if the OEM lever/choke flap would swap the point is moot

I bought a dozen of them off eBay distributed by Huztl at the time, Farmertec and many others sell them in bulk packs on Ebay. I priced them a few years ago from an Echo dealer around $15. @ but likely higher now. The packs on eBay were around $20. for a dozen when I got mine.

I bought a dozen of them off eBay distributed by Huztl at the time, Farmertec and many others sell them in bulk packs on Ebay. I priced them a few years ago from an Echo dealer around $15. @ but likely higher now. The packs on eBay were around $20. for a dozen when I got mine.
$15!!! Echo has learned from Stihl.

Anybody tried a piece a tubing and some grub screws? Like on a 038.

$15!!! Echo has learned from Stihl.

Anybody tried a piece a tubing and some grub screws? Like on a 038.
LOL, You have to remember I am located in Canada, prices for everything is always higher than Stateside. Grub screws in a fuel line would work, I have put them in many saws as a temp fix.

Interesting thread! It caused me to register an account here. I did a similar conversion over the summer, but modified the existing tank breather to fit. I used the 'cut it to fit, then make a new internal tunnel and seal it up with some epoxy' method.

IMG_3802.jpg

The problem I'm running into now is that the air filter cover my local Stihl dealer sold me (the snow version was the only one they had available) does not quite fit! It doesn't bottom out on the right side, and prevents the twist lock from fully engaging.

OP, do you happen to have the Stihl-equivalent part number that you are using so that I can buy one that'll lock down? Thank you!

IMG_3805.jpg
IMG_3804.jpg

Interesting thread! It caused me to register an account here. I did a similar conversion over the summer, but modified the existing tank breather to fit. I used the 'cut it to fit, then make a new internal tunnel and seal it up with some epoxy' method.

View attachment 947519

The problem I'm running into now is that the air filter cover my local Stihl dealer sold me (the snow version was the only one they had available) does not quite fit! It doesn't bottom out on the right side, and prevents the twist lock from fully engaging.

OP, do you happen to have the Stihl-equivalent part number that you are using so that I can buy one that'll lock down? Thank you!

View attachment 947520
View attachment 947521
Can you tell what is causing the filter cover to hang up? It should fit as the only difference between the MS260 reg cover and the winter one is that rubber like cap on its top.
Looking at the new airfilter cover you have on that saw looks like a 026 one , does it have the correct latch mechanism to engage the tang on the filter.? There is quite a difference between the 026 latch and the MS260 latch.

Can you tell what is causing the filter cover to hang up? It should fit as the only difference between the MS260 reg cover and the winter one is that rubber like cap on its top.
Looking at the new airfilter cover you have on that saw looks like a 026 one , does it have the correct latch mechanism to engage the tang on the filter.? There is quite a difference between the 026 latch and the MS260 latch.

Thanks for that clarification about the reg vs winter covers. I think I have the correct type of cover (the 1/4 turn twist lock, not the round knob lock) for this filter. And on 2nd look it does appear to be fully bottoming out on the assembly (on the back side), but at the same time you can see that on the right side, it's not completely seated. Unless it's supposed to look like that? I would expect the orange cover to come down and seat on the lip.stihl1.jpgstihl2.jpg

It does seem there is something not fitting correctly there. When I went with the larger filters I bought the 1121 140 1915 covers, they fit without any hassle at all.
Interestingly, when I google my part number I see this message on eBay. Could my cover ONLY fit a 026 PRO? I didn't think the bodies were different. Thanks for providing me with a part number that should work! Sorry to semi-hijack your thread, OP.
standard.PNG

Back