Stihl 026 to MS260 Air Filter Conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was close! But definitely not a plug and play scenario.
That's what I was afraid of. Stihl didn't make this easy. Stihl had a couple of different tanks styles over the long production run Yours is the earliest with the round knob for the AF cover. Later production changed the tank vent to a lower profile version to accommodate the larger filter.

The AF cover for the larger filter is the one with the rectangular 1/4 turn latch. However, it may or more likely may not fit properly on the older style tank. I would try to find someone who has a saw with this cover and try it before investing in one.

These same issues are why I was advised to not try to convert my 034S to the 036 style of air filter and compensating carb. Too many expensive parts would have to be changed. For this reason I think that Stihl even still carries air filters for this 30 year old saw (although you may have to buy each half separately).

That's what I was afraid of. Stihl didn't make this easy. Stihl had a couple of different tanks styles over the long production run Yours is the earliest with the round knob for the AF cover. Later production changed the tank vent to a lower profile version to accommodate the larger filter.

The AF cover for the larger filter is the one with the rectangular 1/4 turn latch. However, it may or more likely may not fit properly on the older style tank. I would try to find someone who has a saw with this cover and try it before investing in one.

These same issues are why I was advised to not try to convert my 034S to the 036 style of air filter and compensating carb. Too many expensive parts would have to be changed. For this reason I think that Stihl even still carries air filters for this 30 year old saw (although you may have to buy each half separately).
Do you have part numbers for the air filter halves?

Well I assume it would be the same numbers as what’s on the old filter.

So basically what I’m hearing you say is:
1) leave everything as is and use an original air filter.
2) get a new tank/handle assembly and then do the air filter conversion with a new vent and cover.

Is this correct?

Do you have part numbers for the air filter halves?

Well I assume it would be the same numbers as what’s on the old filter.

So basically what I’m hearing you say is:
1) leave everything as is and use an original air filter.
2) get a new tank/handle assembly and then do the air filter conversion with a new vent and cover.

Is this correct?
See your inbox... Yes, and yes, the original filter is still available. For some reason it is only listed as a whole filter. If you look carefully on your old OEM filter you might find numbers such as 1121-120-xxxx which will designate part numbers for the individual halves. However, these don't seem to be available.

The larger filter changes happened in 1995 with the introduction of the 026 PRO version.

One other way you can do the change is to change the top plate on the carburetor. The old type carburetor top plate with the small vent hole can be swapped with the top cover from a compensating carburetor. That way you do not have to plug the hole in the air filter and have the compensating system. Note that the cover screws from an OEM carburetor and an aftermarket carburetor are often different so use the screws from the carburetor you are using.

Latest posts

Back