STIHL 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleNat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Chainsaw Folks, I have a late 1980's Stihl 026 that has served me well over the years. It has been used intermittently and maybe some years not at all. Really all I've ever done to the powerhead was change the spark plug and air filters. My brother and I were cutting firewood yesterday and I used his STIHL 271 and was astonished at how much higher its RPMs were, and the resulting cutting efficiency. My saw starts and runs pretty well if you keep the air filter clean. There's just not that much difference in the displacement of the cylinder to account for the power difference.
Anyone have a suggestion as to how to get more RPM's out of the motor?

Hi Chainsaw Folks, I have a late 1980's Stihl 026 that has served me well over the years. It has been used intermittently and maybe some years not at all. Really all I've ever done to the powerhead was change the spark plug and air filters. My brother and I were cutting firewood yesterday and I used his STIHL 271 and was astonished at how much higher its RPMs were, and the resulting cutting efficiency. My saw starts and runs pretty well if you keep the air filter clean. There's just not that much difference in the displacement of the cylinder to account for the power difference.
Anyone have a suggestion as to how to get more RPM's out of the motor?
with this advanced age you should start with an OEM carb kit and possibly an OEM air cleaner. Photos of the saw carb and AF will help determine vintage.

Proper tuning is essential for proper performance and longevity.

Also pull muffler and post photos of the piston through the exhaust port and the inside of the muffler cover. Pre-EPA vintage doesn't need a muffler mod.

with this advanced age you should start with an OEM carb kit and possibly an OEM air cleaner. Photos of the saw carb and AF will help determine vintage.

Proper tuning is essential for proper performance and longevity.

Also pull muffler and post photos of the piston through the exhaust port and the inside of the muffler cover. Pre-EPA vintage doesn't need a muffler mod.
About when was the epa ? or serial number ? Just curious..

YOU GUYS ARE GREAT! Thanks so much for helping a newbie along. Serial Number is 9 1121 021 0701. I just pulled the Carburator and it is a WT 194-now that I know this I can get a carburator kit. I checked the spark arrestor and it is indeed quite dirty. For now I'm going to hit the carb with some cleaner and clean out the spark arrestor. I'll report the results. Thanks again.

YOU GUYS ARE GREAT! Thanks so much for helping a newbie along. Serial Number is 9 1121 021 0701. I just pulled the Carburator and it is a WT 194-now that I know this I can get a carburator kit. I checked the spark arrestor and it is indeed quite dirty. For now I'm going to hit the carb with some cleaner and clean out the spark arrestor. I'll report the results. Thanks again.
Burn the muffler screen with a torch.

Be careful you don't over rev/over lean it with the existing carb. I would wait for the OEM kit before messing with the carb. It may not need cleaning but just a new kit.

Thanks Again Guys! I cleaned the exhaust, burned the screen. It started right up and I turned the high speed jet clockwise 1/8 turn and it runs like new. Me be happy!

Latest posts

Back