Stihl 028 AV Wood Boss air filter question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94 wrangler

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway. My old 028 AV's air filter has lost most of it's flock. The part number is 1118 120 1610. I can't find a OEM and the after market ones with the same part number show two screws. Mine has just one screw and it's on the right and the center is open so that the air filer box cover screw goes through it and to the carburetor mounting stud. Question. Will the after market filters work if the center screw is removed?

This may be a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway. My old 028 AV's air filter has lost most of it's flock. The part number is 1118 120 1610. I can't find a OEM and the after market ones with the same part number show two screws. Mine has just one screw and it's on the right and the center is open so that the air filer box cover screw goes through it and to the carburetor mounting stud. Question. Will the after market filters work if the center screw is removed?
Photos please! Never seen an 028 with that AF setup. Are you sure that it is an 028?

You can also get out your best pair of glasses and a magnifying glass and see if you can find the individual part numbers for each half of the filter molded in the plastic of each half. The "halfs" might still be available even if the whole filter is not.

BTW, AM air filters are generally considered crap. You want OEM if at all possible.

Photos please! Never seen an 028 with that AF setup. Are you sure that it is an 028?

You can also get out your best pair of glasses and a magnifying glass and see if you can find the individual part numbers for each half of the filter molded in the plastic of each half. The "halfs" might still be available even if the whole filter is not.

BTW, AM air filters are generally considered crap. You want OEM if at all possible.
Thanks. I found the two part numbers. Looks like I'm going to have to buy both. I was hoping to find both parts being sold as one.

I have had the AM filters be too restrictive and the choke spring too weak to keep the the flap open when running full throttle. As stated before, there are two filter covers. The twist lock uses the two hold down screws. The screw lock uses only one as the screw lock fills the other hole. 1118 120 1601 and 1118 120 1610are the part numbers for front and back half. all choke and fastening parts either transferred or ordered separately. I am betting it will disappear shortly.

PS. I've had an 028S since mid 80s, 15 years ago when getting parts for it, good ole dealer told me AF NLA, but I have one, I'm set on that saw.
I bought my 028 AV Wood Boss in 1986. I don't run her too much anymore, I have several other Stihl saws. Just wanted to get her in good shape for my son because he'll end up with her someday. Thanks to all for sharing your advice.

Back