Stihl 028 chain brake or NO brake?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The final pieces to the puzzle.:clap::cheers::cheers:
I would like to see what the internals of an 028 with the side-adjust bar tension look like for comparison as well if anyone has one apart.

stiff brake action on 028

As long as we're on the subject: my retrofitted 028 brake is the non-crossover style (SpaayDawg's picture). I find that the handle is pretty stiff to get the brake to snap into position. I pulled the clutch cover and rubbed a little bit of white lithium grease onto the cam where it rubs. I seems to help, but it is still really stiff compared to the newer brakes.

Anybody else have this issue on an old 028 non-cross-over chain brake?

Yes, at least I think so.

I recently went through the same thing on an older 028 that the chain brake was broken off. If the saw was to kickback I don't know if the brake would engage because it is so stiff.

My two cents.

The OP's saw is exactly like the one I fixed. My engine was good with no air leaks. Had a chainbrake at one time along with the older 2 piece sprocket and old style clutch, Tilly HU carb, and point condenser ignition. The darn thing would run but the ignition was weak and on it's way out.

I borrowed parts from a newer 28 Wood Boss that had an engine was not so great. All parts swapped over, electronic ignition, Walbro carb, and the solid chain brake handle and parts. I even used the tailstock to lighten it up a little. Even the clutch worked with a one piece sproket instead of the two piece deal which I had never seen before.

Anyway I got me another nice runner along with some spare parts.

Last edited:
As long as we're on the subject: my retrofitted 028 brake is the non-crossover style (SpaayDawg's picture). I find that the handle is pretty stiff to get the brake to snap into position. I pulled the clutch cover and rubbed a little bit of white lithium grease onto the cam where it rubs. I seems to help, but it is still really stiff compared to the newer brakes.

Anybody else have this issue on an old 028 non-cross-over chain brake?

I too found that to be the case on the WB I retrofitted. Compared to my 361 you really need to push it to get the brake to clamp. But on the other hand, I've found that the 361's brake handle is a bit touchy for my liking sometimes it activates when I never intended it too.

Ax-man, SpaayDawg, thanks. Then I guess my 028 is normal.

Gotta get to work on porting the 028S P&C I won last week. But it might sit on the shelf for a few more weeks. It will be worthy of a new thread, I think.

Ax-man, SpaayDawg, thanks. Then I guess my 028 is normal.

Gotta get to work on porting the 028S P&C I won last week. But it might sit on the shelf for a few more weeks. It will be worthy of a new thread, I think.

You know that we all like to look at pictures!! Congrats on the acquisition. :clap::cheers::cheers:

I will document this rebuild fully with pix in its own thread. I will be asking for critique on my porting - I will start with a jug from a dead Stihl blower first.

I am saving some of the oak I brought home over Easter weekend to cut with the saw after it is hot-rodded with its new pieces.

Last edited:
Have no idea on the interchangeability, no one here would step in that.

Just thought I would throw that pic up.
Chain brake will not work on your saw I just got one just like it did some checking will not work this saw I picked up is a cherry still have Original bar I believe it is a 1975 model

I once owned five Stihl 028 chain saws and one was the older version with no chain brake, all clean and in running condition. I decided to sell all but one for about the same price. Which one sold first? You guessed it. The oldest one with no chain brake. The new owner said, "I hate fooling with chain brakes. They're just something else to go wrong."

At least 3 flavors

I managed to end up working on 3 028s this week, each one with a different brake mechanism (or lack thereof). Here are some pics:

The no-brake version:
P1000354.jpg

The non-crossover style brake band:
P1000357.jpeg

The crossover style:
P1000355.jpg
I thought it might be helpful to have all the pics in one post.

Charlie

11/22/2021 This is a repost to replace the pictures lost in the "debacle."

Attachments

• P1000354.jpg
    P1000354.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 5
  • P1000357.jpeg
    P1000357.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • P1000355.jpg
    P1000355.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 4
Charley, those saws look so clean, have they ever been used? Very nice set of pics, I am certain they will be much viewed by many working these old warhorses.
Those pics were taken 11 years ago or so. I was just getting into working on saws (inspired by the helpful, or should I say enabling, folks here on AS) and got a good deal from a member on a box o' 028 parts that was promised to have enough for at least a saw or two. I cleaned everything up (hate to work on dirty saws) and with some supplemental parts, managed to come up with 3 runners. Pics show saws before they returned to service.

Those pics were taken 11 years ago or so. I was just getting into working on saws (inspired by the helpful, or should I say enabling, folks here on AS) and got a good deal from a member on a box o' 028 parts that was promised to have enough for at least a saw or two. I cleaned everything up (hate to work on dirty saws) and with some supplemental parts, managed to come up with 3 runners. Pics show saws before they returned to service.
When I see an 028 come in here its disgustingly dirty since most 028`s were Harry homeowner saws they were never cleaned from day one. To see a clean one I take my new one out of its case once in a Blue Moon...LOL

Found this old thread informative but somewhat frustrating. I’m working on a friend’s 028 WB. It’s an old version. Tillie carb on it. Immediately noticed brake flag did nothing but move back and forth. It does have a return spring. Got into it and found no activation mechanism or band. Could this one be one of those early versions that never had a chain brake? There appear to be posts to mount an activation mechanism. Friend says he is not sure if it came with one and was removed. I’d like to retrofit one but I am concerned about getting the correct parts. Also, these can be tricky to install without a good diagram or an brake-equipped spare saw to use as guidance. Any Insight, advice, guidance would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 50B66021-0C68-4EDE-9107-785A333E6AF7.jpeg
    50B66021-0C68-4EDE-9107-785A333E6AF7.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 2
  • DD713779-E0DE-4661-801D-08FE5983910B.jpeg
    DD713779-E0DE-4661-801D-08FE5983910B.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
Back