Stihl 028 not pulling fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChainLightning

Vintage Saw Stalker
Reaction score
hello, I got a mid 80s 028 here that had been sitting for many years. I replaced the sprocket and had to put bar studs and a clutch cover on it. Too my surprised it fired right up after 8 pulls, and ran perfect after a very slight jet adjustment. I continued to run it for 20 mins (with fresh non ethanol mix of course) and it performed well. I put it in my truck box and went to start it the next day. (First off the saw has excellent compression and spark) The saw fired right up but wouldn't rev. Idled well though. So I tried adjusting carb with no luck. So I put it on the bench and the next day ceaned carb and attempted to start it. No fuel at all but would start briefly on carb cleaner then die as soon as that ran out. So I put a known good carb from a runner and a brand new oem fuel line I had on it and still will only run on prime. Even tried the tank vent from the good runner as well. So at this point I figured the boot or impulse line so i tore it all down. (I'm very experienced at doing this kind of work especially on 028s). Took the boot off was oem with no cracks even when I stressed it. Put a new oem impuse line on it. Still will not even to attempt to run on its own. Any tips? Thank you. 16056305252988640041745343861248.jpg

Check to see if the choke flap is opening far enough to allow the extra air into the carb venturi when the throttle is opened. Another thing it could be is a blocked exhaust screen.
Think I figured it out. Muffler was clean and choke was working properly. Did get it running and ran fine till it warmed up. Then started leaning out. I could give it full throttle upright and it would run decent, but as soon as I flipped it on its side it would try to stall out. All at full throttle. I'm willing to bet a new set of crankseals will solve it. Never had a seal so bad the saw wouldn't start on itd own.

Why would flipping on it's side have anything to do with seals?
Well it actually does, the seal on the high end of the crankl will dry off and let air in, the saw will usually revv higher if that seal is just about worn to a point where the wet oil just seals it enough to run quite normal in the horizontal position.

Back