Stihl 028 wood boss back up saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtn_man

Reaction score
I was given a supposed non running 028 wb the other day. After looking it over and checking it out I found that the drive sprocket was badly worn and the chain was jumping and locking up the saw. I also did a compression test and it is at 140 psi. Anyway it needs a new sprocket, bar and chain. I just don't know what size to go with. I already have a 261 cm that wears a 20 inch bar and a full chisel 3/8 chain. I've been happy with it's performance. I was going to set up the 028 as a back up saw. I'm thinking a 18 inch bar with a yellow Stihl 325 chain. How well would a 028 handle this set up?

I did get it running 140 psi on compression. Ran fine with chain for a while and then suddenly the chain locked up. Cut saw off and pulled bar and chain off. Got it up to operating temperature and it ran and idles fine. Put bar back on and set chain slack, ran good while revving throttle. Then all of the sudden the chain jumped a locked up again. Took bar off again and saw runs perfect. Here is a photo of the damaged chain.

I actually was able to make a cut on a piece of black locust before the chain jumped. The chain was dull but the saw ran fine with a load on it

Attachments

• IMG_20220321_195720194.jpg
    IMG_20220321_195720194.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
Looks like it lost the pointed/curved end on a lot of the tangs. No surprise it can't ride in the sprocket or bar.

Check to make sure the clutch springs and rim are in good shape too. That chain probably tossed a number of times before you got it and did some damage or caused some wear.

I was given a supposed non running 028 wb the other day. After looking it over and checking it out I found that the drive sprocket was badly worn and the chain was jumping and locking up the saw. I also did a compression test and it is at 140 psi. Anyway it needs a new sprocket, bar and chain. I just don't know what size to go with. I already have a 261 cm that wears a 20 inch bar and a full chisel 3/8 chain. I've been happy with it's performance. I was going to set up the 028 as a back up saw. I'm thinking a 18 inch bar with a yellow Stihl 325 chain. How well would a 028 handle this set up?
That’s what needs to go on it. You can run 3/8 but it pulls .325 a lot better, and I believe that’s what’s spec on that saw from oem…..that’s what was on mine and my 261.

I guess, it depends on what you want out of a back up saw.

The 028 is probably heavier and lower-powered than the 261. I doubt you'll ever use it...unless the 261 is busted. If that is what you want...I would run the same gauge/pitch on the 028 that you have on the 261. To allow for bar swapping.

I would go with a .325 bar for the 028...sell it...and, buy a back-up saw which is either lighter, or more yank, than the 261.

Roy

Which 028? They came with 42 44 and 46mm cylinders, the "super" is the latter.

Yes they are heavy but just like the 038, built like a tank and reliable as the sun.

Almost 40 years ago a 028S was my first Stihl. I still have it and use it although I have both 026 and 036.

Sweet spot on the 028 is a 16" 0.325 setup. I use that on my 026s too. If I need bigger I grab a 036 w/20" 3/8 B/C.

That’s what needs to go on it. You can run 3/8 but it pulls .325 a lot better, and I believe that’s what’s spec on that saw from oem…..that’s what was on mine and my 261.
I had an 028 super and it choked on me the 261 is a completely different machine. I like it a lot. Either will pull 3/8 if setup properly but you loose some power due to the larger size chain, so the compromise is a smaller bar or different sprocket (slower) more torque. A lot of tree dudes do this so they can stay consistent on chain for everything.

I now have another 028. I bought my first one back in 1985 bran new. Honestly I think that 140 psi is a bit low. This one has 170. Like yours the bar and chain and the clutch sprocket needed replacement. This one sat for an extended period of time. I put a whole carburetor kit into it last week. Now it runs great. IMO this saw is happy wearing a 325 with a 16BC665740-ca87b2b6246c235aac5052c86a044f31 (2).jpg

I thought that I would never sell this saw:
1673218651775.jpeg
The classic 028 Wood Boss. A good friend wanted this one rather than the 028 AV that was 10 years younger. So, I let it go, but he paid more for it than the 028 AV sitting next to it. This saw runs flawlessly today.

Yes sir doing a full rebuild from ground up on 028 wb just like on in pics have fould everything new oem factory matching numbers except chain brake just got clutch shoes waiting on spring revived new oem factory carburetor two days days ago and going find warning labels somehow man when they are this old worth bringing back to there glory days man oh man that is a nice one there wood doctor. The Rubber Duck

Back