Stihl 028

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLTW

Reaction score
I recently purchased an 028 that ran well but noticed when I got home it had a leak. After tearing apart the whole saw I found a small hole in the front of the gas tank see picture.
3B839724-C410-42EB-B7F1-4FE13E8C0D81.jpeg

I would like to keep it as close to original as possible with the aluminum or magnesium but was curious what other people’s experiences have been with plastic or aftermarket tanks. Thanks in advance.

I recently purchased an 028 that ran well but noticed when I got home it had a leak. After tearing apart the whole saw I found a small hole in the front of the gas tank see picture. View attachment 1067256
I would like to keep it as close to original as possible with the aluminum or magnesium but was curious what other people’s experiences have been with plastic or aftermarket tanks. Thanks in advance.
Post this in the Chainsaw forum, you'll get more responses

Welcome to AS

I recently purchased an 028 that ran well but noticed when I got home it had a leak. After tearing apart the whole saw I found a small hole in the front of the gas tank see picture. View attachment 1067256
Jb Weld will fix that right up.

Lots of Chinese replacements, go to American companies that offer Chinese parts and have them in stock, most offer 30 day warranties. Let them do the quality control. Ordering from China can take awhile. HLsupply and Dukes R A start
I would like to keep it as close to original as possible with the aluminum or magnesium but was curious what other people’s experiences have been with plastic or aftermarket tanks.

let the fuel dry out, clean it really well. Remove any coating around the hole out a inch or so. Get a really good hot soldering iron. Use silver solder and Flux. If you get a plastic tank replacement make sure you use a skid plate on it, keep an eye on the seams of the plastic. If you know a pro welder he can mig it. These cases are very delicate to weld especially on the gussets and you end up "chasing the weld" making it worse. I hope you are able to keep it original...

Latest posts

Back