Stihl 028AV Super - Chances dealer has parts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PV Hiker

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Working on a 1979 version Stihl 028AV Super. Need some replacement parts. Is Stihl still making these parts? Based on waiting for 3 months so far to get some parts for a 361 I expect these will also become a back order parts.

* - Fuel Hose
* - Fuel Vent Hose ( looks like a short piece of Tigon hose with 2 grub screws inside)
* - Impulse Hose
* - Crank seals - Clutch side leaking, Flywheel side not. But should do both.

Saw has 150 psi compression at 5,000 ft elevation and piston looks great! The case held vacuum no problem and even while spinning crank.

Pressure test it would only reach 5psi and drop to 4 psi and hold it. Took the clutch pack off and noticed the seal would not leak until after 4psi and limit pressure build at 5 psi.

If I can't get seals through dealer is there a source through Granger or?? that can get OEM quality?

Thanks, Patrick

Thanks...
HaHa... I first thought it was like reading tea leaves.... So if I look closely there should be numbers stamped on them?
Usually

https://www.hywayparts.com/product-p/os000008.htm
39e70027866afb5d61145bc13d47a7d3.jpg

My shop stocks all of those parts and the air filter, I work on 028s all the time, did full tune ups on 3 of them this week alone.

Thanks Dean-O. I'll check with a couple of local dealers and see what they have. Last resort I may PM you and arrange shipping them if your shop does that.

Here is a images of both seals and I did not see any numbers using see more's glasses and bright light.
20201220_152204.jpg20201220_152359_resized.jpg

Thanks Dean-O. I'll check with a couple of local dealers and see what they have. Last resort I may PM you and arrange shipping them if your shop does that.

Here is a images of both seals and I did not see any numbers using see more's glasses and bright light.
View attachment 876092View attachment 876093
Sorry, we don’t ship anything. I would hope some dealers around you would keep most things you need in stock.

View attachment 876092View attachment 876093

Stihl BR400 blower uses the same seals as 028. The 028 gasket/seal set is NLA from Stihl, seals are. A BR400 gasket/seal set costs less than buying the seals alone/separate.

The rest of the story...

We went into Reno to look at area water ways to see what kind of birds are migrating through. We have three main Stihl dealers with parts in Reno. Stopped in at the first place because I know they always stock Walbro carb kits. There I got Fuel hose and Filter. a cut piece of Stihl fuel line to use for the vent, I just push the grub screws in.

Called the second store (my favorite) and yes on the clutch side seal and he had other 028's waiting on parts and took a new Impulse hose off one of them for me.

Called a third store and no dice on the other seal or impulse hose at their 2 locations. No store had the impulse hose or the flywheel side seal, so was happy to at least get the impulse hose.

Going to put the impulse hose, clutch side seal in and then check for other leaks before moving forward. For now I'll hold off on the other seal. If it is working fine don't touch it and smuck up a working seal.

The one thing that was very real to the eye was the 2 stores had barely any equipment on display, said was a serious back order for equipment and parts.

Stihl BR400 blower uses the same seals as 028. The 028 gasket/seal set is NLA from Stihl, seals are. A BR400 gasket/seal set costs less than buying the seals alone/separate.

Thanks for the information.

I did get the clutch side that is larger #9640 003 1600 seal 15 x 29.6 x 4.
Wait on the flywheel side smaller #9640 003 1340 seal 13 x 22 x 5.

Back