Stihl 028av-WB - using the IPL/ right parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CptHoek

Reaction score
Ok - Straight up new to the list BUT I did research stickies and searched the forums with no luck - just a FYI. I have had for many years(20+) a Stihl 028av-WB - runs like a champ even at high altitude. But I noticed the oiler seems a bit SLOW. Ive tried recommendations such as: 1) pull bar to clean bar oiler port 2) cold weather-use winter oil 3) checked for crap in oil tank 4) run w/o bar to ensure function.. If I run the bar/ chain on cardboard I hardly get light oil spray after a minute of high RPMs.. I finally pulled the unit apart down to the pump - noted a few chewed teeth on the spur gear and worm gears.. And as I cleaned the parts up - noted that cover had a few small cracks.. Also - the chain sprocket is a bit worn.. I know this thing works BUT I depend on it to clear downfall when I am hunting AND Im on the mountain vehicle recovery team and I depend on it to get me OUT of the woods!!! SO MY QUESTION - I have the IPL in front of me - but am having a hard time figuring what actual parts numbers I need.. I see the model options on the bottom right of each sheet - but not the AV - wood boss.. I am guessing the listed model is: "028 wbseq" as the #4 model matches some known parts. A few known part numbers are: 1116 647 1806 on the spur gear and 1118 647 0405 on oil pump body..
I am having a hard time finding the part numbers I need and the local dealer was of NO HELP. " NLA" the kid kept saying.... BTW - I did get the service manual so I have that as well.... Help me keep this this goin! Thanks!

I always suggest dumping out the oil, filling partway with fuel. Shake, dump, repeat. Then put some more back in and start the saw, and run it a bit with the bar/chain off and watch the flow. This sometimes breaks up clogs.

These were known for chewing up gears like the plastic drive gear. That could be your problem if it is.

The other possibility is that the pump just has 30 years worth of crud stuck in it. I believe that the pump will come apart which will allow you to clean out the crud. The piston (42) is what has to come out for cleaning. It looks like you may need to remove roll pin 43 to do this.

Of course, you also have to check the rubber intake hose and possibly the output hose (if it has one).

awesome - much clearer than the version I was referencing.. So - question. Cover part reference #29 OR #41.. The part number on mine is 1118 021 1103 - I take it since mine is a {4} I need the 1118 021 1104.. ?
If you are replacing same with same you should use the 1103 part which is likely NLA. Best alternative is Ebay for a used part. My IPL shows it going from ...1102? to ...1104 after serial number 6 552 119 Tech Note 35.81. Don't know what happened to ...1103. Looks like they made some changes to the oil pump and drive in 1981. Sometimes with Stihl the buying part number is slightly different than the number on the actual part.

If buying new parts, I'd recommend up grading to a rim sprocket clutch drum from Oregon, the come with the new plastic gear and the bearing . I have 3 028s and the rim sprocket is nice a lot easier to maintenance than the spur.
Also second pulling the oiler apart and cleaning it, I've seen some incredible grime come out of them.

Latest posts

Back