Stihl 029 oil problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan Bruce

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a Stihl 029, when I run it it oils the side cover and the power head but no oil goes on the bar. The oil ports are clean and the bar groove is clean. I am running like 15 year old Stihl bar oil, it looks fine but could that be the problem? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

I have an 029 with mods and it's a good machine.. Heavy compared to the Echo 590 with a tad less power BUT.. The 029 with the correct mods is a decent saw..SO.. Here is what I'd do..I'd remove the Bar and chain.. I'd fill the bar oil tank and crank my saw.. I'd run the saw motor up a bit (Without a bar and chain) and look to see exactly where the oil is coming from..I'd make sure that part of the system is working well..Then if so.. I'd kill the motor put my bar on WITHOUT a chain and crank my saw again..Holding the bar tip at approximately 45% and see IF bar oil drops OFF the end of my bar.. IF NOT,, I'd trouble shoot that.. It may be the bar and the oil delivery system are not matching up.. BUT,, if so..I'd check my oil line from the oil pump (if this saw has one..I'm nor sure IF I remember that part well). If all of that is fine,, Maybe I'd thicken my bar oil by adding some STP and give that a shot..It's been a while ( I use only my Echo saws now) and I'm not sure IF (but I think it does) have an oil hole in the bar unlike the saws that use a Tension Hole in the bar to deliver oil to the chain.. I think this is a minor problem any way I hope this helps..

Back