Stihl 029 Super, won't start. Kicks.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph Acquisto

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Several years old Stihl 029 Super. Sat for a year (or so). Put in fresh fuel (91 octane, no ethanol, stihl mix). Will not start. Kicks like the devil (as if it may be trying too early?) almost feels like it want to climb back up the rope.

Found a little tube with set screws in it, that have me pause, but it is apparently only the tank vent, so I made up a new one. Likely nothing to do with this problem.

Air filter looks clean (enough), plug looks OK, darkish, but not wet or fouled looking. It pulls with ease with the plug out.

What could the problem be? Old age and lack of enough snot to pull it not withstanding.

Several years old Stihl 029 Super. Sat for a year (or so). Put in fresh fuel (91 octane, no ethanol, stihl mix). Will not start. Kicks like the devil (as if it may be trying too early?) almost feels like it want to climb back up the rope.

Found a little tube with set screws in it, that have me pause, but it is apparently only the tank vent, so I made up a new one. Likely nothing to do with this problem.

Air filter looks clean (enough), plug looks OK, darkish, but not wet or fouled looking. It pulls with ease with the plug out.

What could the problem be? Old age and lack of enough snot to pull it not withstanding.

Combination of old age and maybe old gas left in the lines and carb? Put in the home made tank vent and found the plug was wet after a number of pulls. Dried it all out, tried again and it hit and stumbled for a bit, then got it cleared out and running well.

Stopped to change chain as it would not cut very well. Thought it was on backwards. Went to start it and it refused, much as before, only this time, the plug does not appear wet.

Check your flywheel key for shearing
I'll give that a check if it still won't start. I quit trying yesterday as it was late and I was out of gas. Personally.

I am thinking of trying a quick shot of some sort of starter fluid to see it it will snort at me for a second or two, but am reluctant to try, even for a quick snort, since most of them do not have any lubricant. Might try WD40, just for grins.

Pull the carb and check the metering diaphragm and pump. Have you ever changed the fuel line? Also check the impulse line. These are common problems for saws that have been sitting. Was it running fine when it was stored?

Pull the carb and check the metering diaphragm and pump. Have you ever changed the fuel line? Also check the impulse line. These are common problems for saws that have been sitting. Was it running fine when it was stored?
I changed the fuel lines and, I think, the carb a couple years ago. Sadly, the saw often sits for a while as I tend to use the 012 a lot more. Lighter and does most of what I need to do.

It was running fine. I may not have run it dry before putting it up last year. So, it may be carb cleaning or new carb time.

I changed the fuel lines and, I think, the carb a couple years ago. Sadly, the saw often sits for a while as I tend to use the 012 a lot more. Lighter and does most of what I need to do.

It was running fine. I may not have run it dry before putting it up last year. So, it may be carb cleaning or new carb time.
Check the screen on the inlet side of the carb

Is it an oem carb or china?
*IF* I replaced it, it would have been an Amazon or Ebay offering, not a OEM. I cannot find a record of having ordered one, so, maybe it is original. It's well over 90 in the shade right now, so, not going to venture out. I have a tendency to get stupid(er) in the heat.

I do know I replaced the lines as they had deteriorated, much as the vent line did. Most likely I got a "kit" that included replacement lines.

Ordered some NGK plugs and some air filters. Have had cases like this where put in a fresh plug and it fired right up. Already tried a new Bosch plug with no change.

I put in a new NGK after checking the gap, still would not fire. So squirted in a dash of "made today" mix and it bucked a bit in the "cold start" position, clicked it up a notch and it started after about 5 more pulls.

Had to nurse it a bit but it smoothed out after a minute and managed to cut some logs for about 10 minutes or so, till the new chain loosened up. I was running using the mix that was already in it from last week. It's still over 90, which is tough on me and the saw, I imagine,

So, I guess I'll call it good, for now, and leave it at that. Thanks for all the tip.

It quit on me a week or so ago, could not get it started. The heat wave moved in and good sense kept me indoors mostly.

Got out today and determined there is no spark. Pulled plug, put a ground wire on the thread to the cylinder fins. No spark. checked the stop switch for ground, open in run, short in "off". Checked continuity on from plug threads to cylinder fins to check my jury rig. Good ground.

So now to hunt a coil and igniter.

Back