STIHL 029

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan Bruce

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a Stihl 029, when I run it it oils the side cover and the power head but no oil goes on the bar. The oil ports are clean and the bar groove is clean. I am running like 15 year old Stihl bar oil, it looks fine but could that be the problem? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

By "oil ports", does that include the hole in the base of the bar that indexes with the bar grove? Due to chain stretch or new short chain, does the oil hole in the bar no longer line up with the oil delivery grove in the bar mount?

Hey guys I have a Stihl 029, when I run it it oils the side cover and the power head but no oil goes on the bar. The oil ports are clean and the bar groove is clean. I am running like 15 year old Stihl bar oil, it looks fine but could that be the problem? Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Hello.. I've had a Sthil 029 for many years.. Gas the saw.. Add bar oil.. Remove the chain and bar..Keep the side plate (clutch cover off) but place the bar nuts back on the saw or place them in a safe place. Crank motor throttle half way up.. LOOK at the side of the saw where the bar goes on.. Does the saw weep oil?
Yes,, your saw is oiling..
No.,, check your oil filter and fee line.
NOW.. Do not install the chain just yet..
Put the bar on the saw..Slide it as far out as the slot will allow and tighten bar nuts WITHOUT side plate on saw..Crank saw again..
Point saw 45 degrees nose down.. Run engine up a bit and let it run.. DOES oil drip off the bar tip..
Yes,, then it's oiling and should oil the chain.
NO.. the bar is NOT lining up right with the oil pump port..
Use a dremel tool to remove some metal at the TOP small bar hole..make it longer..I've run bars that needed bar oil holes longer before.. In fact I've bought a bar for a Sthil 029 that did exactly what your say does, The bar came from a good company and the bar is a GOOD named bar.. But,,it did not oil well..
Everynow and again I chec all my saw oil systems without a bar, then with the bar no chain then if all goes well.. Chain goes on Saw, Chaps and personal protection equipment go on me..Then Saw goes to work.. Good luck

Back