Stihl 030 Ignitionside crankseal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berti1985

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there.
I'm currently in process of restoring a Stihl 030 (Type 1113) and I wanted to switch out both crankseals. The one on the clutch side is identical to the 031 and 032 and it fits (aftermarket kit). The one on the ignition side does not. It is larger in diameter in comparison to the 031 seal.
Does anybody have a clue, which crankseal at the flywheelside fits the 030?
Maybe somebody has a really old 030 parts list? The 2004 Stihl one doesn't have the old spec parts.
Thanks in advance.

The FW side is standard metric 13x22x5 and can be brought at any good bearing supplier.
The Clutch side is proprietary stihl and can’t be brought from an bearing supplier. It’s NLA too, you just have to be patient and wait until one comes up on evilbay or Facebook scammersplace.

Hi to Australia,
Sadly it's not! This one has a larger Diameter. The 030 has a different crankcase to the 031. I ordered the 13x22x5 and it doesn't fit.

Ok , I took some pictures to show the problem
The first pic is the flywheelside crankcase of the 030.
The second pic is the flywheelside crankcase of the 031.
The third picture shows the damaged removed seals . Top one being clutch side (both 030 and 031). Bottom left flywheelside 030, bottom right flywheelside 031 13*22*5

Attachments

• Reference.jpg
    Reference.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Stihl 030 Flywheelside.jpg
    Stihl 030 Flywheelside.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Stihl 031 Crankseal.jpg
    Stihl 031 Crankseal.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 0
Aproximately (old one is wrecked, can't messure it exactly)
27 mm outside diameter
22 mm shaft diameter (inside)
4 mm thickness

That’s a huge ignition side shaft size at 22mm for a little 45 or 50cc saw flywheel, I thought they all used the 6002 series bearing…which fits a 15mm shaft & then the shaft steps down to 13mm.

Looks like Stihl used the inner bearing race OD as an ID seal surface, so likely a proprietary bearing & seal, obsoleted or NLA. The bigger 045/056 series used that same seal design, but only on the clutch side.

Can you read the bearing numbers through the case side?

Maybe if somebody has the old manual (not the repair manual). The old manuals 030 had a parts breakdown.

Ok I got my hands on a manual with the old parts breakdown. It says the bearing is No. 9523 003 4230. There is no separate oil seal mentioned at the crankcase, so it mus be a seal within the bearing itself. Does anybody have an idea?

Probably have to find a NOS 9523 003 4230 bearing/seal assembly there in Germany & split the case to replace. There’s some for sale on US fleabay, but likely shipping would be too high. Avoid the later nylon plastic ribbon style if you can, they fall apart..

The only other choice may be to split & replace the bearing with an 031, 6002 style. Don’t know if it will even fit the case bore, never tried it, but then a standard common 27x13x5mm oil seal would fit. Stihl sucks for ever using that proprietary non-serviceable combination of bearing & seal, no reason for it.

Good luck with the repairs.

Not a sponsor nor affiliated with this fleabay seller.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233345610042

Back