Stihl 031 av bearing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbo917

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I am rebuilding a 031av crankcase and have a question about the bearings. The ignition side you can easily find but the clutch side seems to be a problem. I looked it up and it is a special bearing with a integrated shaft seal in the bearing. Stihl nr 95230034440. measuring 15x35x13,5. Some guy on a German forum used a skf 394926 and said it worked. Would this work? The info I found the bearing width is only 12mm. I also found a fag bearing measuring 15x35x13 for the sthil 024/025/026. Would this be a solution?

Regards
Tim

Hey Tim!
I have an 031AV (points) that I have used since it was brand new back in to 70s. My Dad bought it for me. I started cleaning it up and wanted to rebuild the carb, new fuel lines, impulse line... next thing I had it down and was holding it in one hand.. I had a local Stihl Dealer do a pressure and vacuum test and the said the seal on the clutch side was leaking. Obviously OEM bearings and seals are not available. I looked at the exploded parts and see 9640-003-2390 SEAL on clutch side AND 9523 003 4440 Grooved ball bearing 15x35x13.5 <-- THESE 2 COME TOGETHER... Does that mean the seal and the bearing are integrated into one unit? Do you need to split the case if you need to replace the seal on the CLUTCH side? I'm a bit confused cuz STIHL makes it look from the exploded view and parts list they come together but I have found just the seals on eBay at https://www.ebay.com/itm/384680851300 or a gasket and seals complete https://www.ebay.com/itm/384680851300

I've never split the case and am a bit anxious.. I don't know if I need any specialty tools....

Any advice?
Thanks!
-Rogero31av diagram.pngparts list 031av.pngseals only.jpegseals gaskets.png

Hello,with the 031av that I have the clutch bearing is a special one. The seal for the crankshaft is integrated in the bearing. Sthil does not make this bearing anymore. I bought the skf one I mentioned in my previous post and this is a perfect match for the sthil one. You wil have to split the cases to change the bearings. This is not that difficult and does no require special tools.

I live in europe and ordered it in France. It is a special bearing made by skf and not widely available. It was expensive,48 euro but I could not find it anywhere else. Don’t know about the gasket set. I wonder why there are two crankshaft seals when there is only one loose seal and the other is incorporated int the bearing?

rsevilla,
All you need is the new seal 9640 003 2390, no need to split the case open. That gasket kit looks like it would fit, but the paper material looks to be low quality.

A new bearing always comes w/ a seal installed, but fortunately the separate seal can be replaced from the outside. Drill a small hole in it & pull it out with a drywall screw & pliers, or quicker to just have the local dealer pull it with their Stihl seal puller tool. It needs to be pressure tested again anyway.

Sometimes those PTO seals are stuck tight after 40 plus years & difficult to pull. Good luck on the replacement.

Ok,so you can buy and replace the shaft seal that goes in the bearing. I did not know that. Does this work together with the 026 bearing to? To replace the bearing. My bearing was shot but I could not find an original so I bought the expensive skf one.

Yes.. pretty cool you can replace just the seal on the clutch side as they sell it either as just the seal... or the bearing with the integrated seal. I'm looking for the bearing with the integrated seal. I see you are in Belgium... Here in the USA I can't find a source for the SKF 394926 (or a NOS Stihl 9523 003 4440).

I have read somewhere that you could use the bearing of the 026 model. But I don’t think you can fit a seal in this bearing. Don’t know for sure touch.

Latest posts

Back