Stihl 031 AV chain brake parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audiman21

Reaction score
I have a decent Poulan saw but I have always wanted a Stihl and I ended up getting an 031 AV in really good shape from an elderly neighbor. I did the usual repairs as it hadn't been used in a while. New fuel filter, rebuilt the carb, replaced the fuel supply line and impulse tube and it runs fantastic. I am not sure what year the saw is as I can't locate a serial number or anything. My question is in regards to the chain brake. My understanding is that some years had no brake, some had the band brake and some had a clutch brake. My saw has the handle to accept the brake actuation rod and the notch in the case cover, but nothing else. My guess is mine is a hodge-podge of parts, or someone took the brake off. Does anyone have any insight? I have the IPC for the 031 saws but I can't find my case cover part number in it anywhere. Pictures are attached. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Attachments

• 20210826_172631.jpg
    20210826_172631.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • 20210826_172649.jpg
    20210826_172649.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210826_172635.jpg
    20210826_172635.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 18
Welcome aboard & great job on reviving your old 031AV saw.

That is the early type friction pad brake cover, but all the internal parts are missing,

Those drum pad brakes didn’t work work well alone, as the saw also needed to have the disconnecting or QS (quick stop) type clutch too. The QS clutch assemblies are unreliable when packed up with bar oil, dirt & chips, so I guess that the production was short lived because of it. Looks like you have the standard 3 shoe friction clutch, but I can’t see past the cover washer.

The better brake is the later band clamp type. It will bolt right on & the lever will fit into the slot on your black HG(hand guard). The black HG would then need to be replaced or have the holding tab trimmed & rounded off at the bottom to allow it to move forward with the brake lever too. I can’t remember which of the two different HGs part numbers 1113 792 9106 & 1114 792 9106 were the fixed & rotating types.

There are plenty of used band type brakes listed on fleaBay....good luck with the “new to you” saw!

I have a decent Poulan saw but I have always wanted a Stihl and I ended up getting an 031 AV in really good shape from an elderly neighbor. I did the usual repairs as it hadn't been used in a while. New fuel filter, rebuilt the carb, replaced the fuel supply line and impulse tube and it runs fantastic. I am not sure what year the saw is as I can't locate a serial number or anything. My question is in regards to the chain brake. My understanding is that some years had no brake, some had the band brake and some had a clutch brake. My saw has the handle to accept the brake actuation rod and the notch in the case cover, but nothing else. My guess is mine is a hodge-podge of parts, or someone took the brake off. Does anyone have any insight? I have the IPC for the 031 saws but I can't find my case cover part number in it anywhere. Pictures are attached. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Welcome aboard & great job on reviving your old 031AV saw.

That is the early type friction pad brake cover, but all the internal parts are missing,

Those drum pad brakes didn’t work work well alone, as the saw also needed to have the disconnecting or QS (quick stop) type clutch too. The QS clutch assemblies are unreliable when packed up with bar oil, dirt & chips, so I guess that the production was short lived because of it. Looks like you have the standard 3 shoe friction clutch, but can’t see past the cover washer.

The better brake is the later band clamp type. It will bolt right on & the lever will fit into the slot on your black HG(hand guard). The black HG would then need to be replaced or have the holding tab trimmed & rounded off at the bottom to allow it to move forward with the brake lever too. I can’t remember which of the two different HGs part numbers 1113 792 9106 & 1114 792 9106 were the fixed & rotating types.

There are plenty of used band type brakes listed on fleaBay....good luck with the “new to you” saw!
Thanks so much for all that info! Sounds like a great plan to retrofit the newer style band brake. I am fumbling through the IPC I have and found that 1114 792 9106 HG called out but I am not finding the associated brake parts directly associated with that HG. I am assuming its the band brake in my _1 attached picture and not the goofy three shoe clutch jobber?
Thanks again for the info! I guess it's off the FleaBay I go.

Attachments

• Stihl brake_1.jpg
    Stihl brake_1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Stihl brake_2.jpg
    Stihl brake_2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 14
You’re correct about the _1 being the better one. The rounded lug hand guard works with either brake lever.

Both 031 clutches are 3 shoe, it’s likely that you currently have the standard clutch, and the -2 bottom one shown in your attachments is the oddball disconnecting type.

You’re correct about the _1 being the better one. The rounded lug hand guard works with either brake lever.

Both 031 clutches are 3 shoe, it’s likely that you currently have the standard clutch, and the -2 bottom one shown in your attachments is the oddball disconnecting type.
Perfect and thanks again. I just stumbled upon this 1113 007 1009 NOS part assembly and ordered it up. Looking forward to getting a complete saw together.
This is a great site. I appreciate the help and info.

Attachments

• Ebay_NOS.jpg
    Ebay_NOS.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 11
I am not sure what year the saw is as I can't locate a serial number or anything.
Serial # here, then you can look up the year, or if it's hot .
I, too, am missing chain break parts on my project [79-80] Stihl 031,,,but previous owner is looking around garage nowIMG_3586.JPGIMG_3587.JPG

Back