Stihl 031 Chain sprocket switcharoo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kommandokenny

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got an older 031 given to me ,,3/8 pitch, big star cog on it.
It came with no bar .
I have a couple Stihl bars and chains kicking around, but they are .325 pitch.
My question is ,,,,can I just switch out the 3/8 star cog for a .325 star cog.
Can I go from #1113 640 2000 [ 3/8 ] to # 11136402005 [.325] with out buying a conversion kit, or any other parts and utilize one of the .325 bars I have .
The Spur Sprocket part 1113 640 2005 .325 is 30 bucks.... a new 3/8 p Stihl bar and chain is over a hun$.
I know I'm not missing anything by not running the 3/8 chain, as I have that setup on my Stihl 038 .
Any input upside -/ downside is appreciated.
The 3/8 cog has some hack marks in it also ...see pic
Thanks

IMG_3589.JPG

Yes !Professor!
After a couple days on the P#rn Collector [P.C] and some research in the manuals section on here,,, I'll buy the .325 rim sprocket kit.
I will be able to utilize my spare .325 bar/chain and in the future it will be cheaper to replace the rim sprocket than the spur sprocket .

Yes !Professor!
After a couple days on the P#rn Collector [P.C] and some research in the manuals section on here,,, I'll buy the .325 rim sprocket kit.
I will be able to utilize my spare .325 bar/chain and in the future it will be cheaper to replace the rim sprocket than the spur sprocket .
And you can always put a 3/8 setup back on easily.

Is the 031 3003 bar mount like your 038?

Yes I can use 038 -3/8 bar with old 031 cog and I ordered .325 spur sprocket so I can use my 18 inch spare bar from my 026 . The gauge is 050 on that bar/chain, but a spur sprocket should not mind what gauge it is ....as long as the pitch is the same.

I updated my 031 to a rim drive using an Oregon 18200X which is a 3/8" setup. You would have to obtain a .325 rim drive also.
Ok thanks . Both Local Stihl dealer says they discontinued the rim sprocket drive kit 1113 007 1041 [.325],, so I ordered a new old stock .325 spur sprocket, from Ebay . I never looked into Oregon it was tough enough figuring the Stihl numbers out.......
.... :surprised3: :surprised3: :surprised3:

Looks like parts a scarce for this saw ,,no coil 1113 400 1300 anywhere,,:angry:
I got a spark and hoping it will be strong enough under compression
Surprised Onehunglo is not making a knockoff.................... 🤣 🤣

I updated my 031 to a rim drive using an Oregon 18200X which is a 3/8" setup. You would have to obtain a .325 rim drive also.
It would be nice if I could slap a .325 rim sprocket in the 18200X ,,,,,,,,,,,;)

So u used the oregon part crossed with the stihl
  • Stihl 1110-007-1040 which is for an 041 and it fits your 031?

I got an older 031 given to me ,,3/8 pitch, big star cog on it.
It came with no bar .
I have a couple Stihl bars and chains kicking around, but they are .325 pitch.
My question is ,,,,can I just switch out the 3/8 star cog for a .325 star cog.
Can I go from #1113 640 2000 [ 3/8 ] to # 11136402005 [.325] with out buying a conversion kit, or any other parts and utilize one of the .325 bars I have .
The Spur Sprocket part 1113 640 2005 .325 is 30 bucks.... a new 3/8 p Stihl bar and chain is over a hun$.
I know I'm not missing anything by not running the 3/8 chain, as I have that setup on my Stihl 038 .
Any input upside -/ downside is appreciated.
The 3/8 cog has some hack marks in it also ...see pic
Thanks

View attachment 963041
I DO NOT like those Spur Sprockets AT all.. IF it were me I'd google and find a RIM drive system. You should be able to change the Clutch drum, bearing, and add a RIM of the size you need for about 30ish bucks.. I just changed one.. Years ago I changed the Spur on my Stihl 029 to Rim drive...The beauty of RIM drives is the ability to change very easily from one chanin size to another one. Example.. From .325 to 3/8 aka. .375. Bars and chains between saws makes for a happy day..

Thankyou for your input .!
I have the .325 rim sprocket and oregon clutch drum.
I also have the 3/8 and .325 spur sprockets so will give them all a try :cheers:

Thankyou for your input .!
I have the .325 rim sprocket and oregon clutch drum.
I also have the 3/8 and .325 spur sprockets so will give them all a try :cheers:
How much is the Oregon drum for the cs352? I'd have bought one instead of this China X..IF I could have found one..THE china X is working and my cs kit is on the way.. MY guess is the thin Craxp will be ok for the smaller 34.5 cc saw BUT I would love to have had a BETTER one for my 60 cc saw. HOWEVER the Chinxcraoloa is working for now. It even stops the chain like it should and it oils well..MY 590 cuts SO fast and so good I bucked an entire tree on one tank of fuel and it's still got fuel. That saw is awesome..

Click to open expanded view
  • 51rpX4KuFBL._AC_US40_.jpg

Oregon OEM 18200X Replacement Power Mate Sprocket System​

Brand: Oregon Scientific

It was 64 bucks cnd or 7,500,000,000.00 rubles

$64.52$64.52

And now that you mention it I still have not received that clutch drum . I did receive a 3/8 rim drive. 2 weeks ago but the clutch hub is mia.
So don't order anything from here I'm waiting almost a month now. ..cork soakers!!

Layger​

Layger storefront
4.5 out of 5 stars85% positive in the last 12 months (5992 ratings)
We at Layger are committed to providing each customer with the highest standard of customer service, and work on widening our selection of products that is growing rapidly every day.

LAYGER RETURN POLICY:
We work hard to ensure that our return policies are fair to all the parties involved - our customers, our vendors and to us. If you should have any additional questions and/or concerns, please feel free to contact us at any time.
Orders ship from Canada and the United States

I sent a complaint to LAYGER and told them to use the mail, as DHL can't find any rural, or off the beaten track residences.... :angry: :angry: :angry: :surprised3:

Back