Stihl 031 Ignition coil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cerambycid

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've purchased an old electronic Stihl 031Q and it won't generate a spark. It appears that replacement coils are no longer available (OEM or aftermarket). Can these be repaired? Or, do I just need to buy a used coil and hope for the best. Oh, does anyone know the specs on resistance for the primary and secondary windings for this saw? I can't locate those numbers. Thanks for any help or advice.

Due to the semiconductor package that controls the current in the primary of an electronic ignition module, there is no valid resistance spec for the primary of the coil and these units, basically cannot be repaired. There should be an AM available or a known good used one would be good. Maybe someone will provide info on a coil from another saw that will work.

Due to the semiconductor package that controls the current in the primary of an electronic ignition module, there is no valid resistance spec for the primary of the coil and these units, basically cannot be repaired. There should be an AM available or a known good used one would be good. Maybe someone will provide info on a coil from another saw that will work.
I have two 031AVs that run like new would that be the same as the Q? I can check them later with a meter. I also have spare parts and coils laying around for them.

I doubt that the coil has failed, it’s usually the black CD module under the FW that’s shot craps.

That’s the wire going from the coil, underneath the FW.

What does CD mean? I saw that video too. He never mentions the part number for the chip. The attached pic is closer. Does this help with The wires? Thank you for the help!

Attachments

• EAACD0DE-03F8-4883-87A2-57AF05485163.jpeg
    EAACD0DE-03F8-4883-87A2-57AF05485163.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
CD is a capacitor discharge ignition, also known as electronic. I saw that you have the electronic flywheel already.

That module Leon used was an externally mounted aftermarket single wire Kawasaki type, probably a Rotary 31-9334 (SIG-01) or an Universal 1684. The Stihl 1118-400-1001 works best, though they cost more.

Post a pic when you get your flywheel taken off.

6F0D750C-D5E3-4ED7-A0A1-5BEB6C6E1E85.jpeg

I found one on ebay For $59. It is advertised for the 1120 series saws. You think it will work with this saw?

Yes but I wouldn’t order anything until you get your flywheel off & test your coil primary & secondary resistances.

Daym, the Stihl modules are twice the price as the SIG-01, so they must be obsoleted. I would just get the SIG.

Go to the “Beg for manuals” sticky thread here on AS & get the service manual for coil resistance values.

I wouldn’t order anything until you get your flywheel off & test your coil primary & secondary resistances.

Daym, the Stihl modules are twice the price as the SIG-01, so they must be obsoleted.I would just get the SIG.

Go to the “Beg for manuals” sticky thread here on AS & get the service manual for coil resistance values.
Perfect. I’ll go to the manual. Thanks very much for getting going in the right direction.

Here it is on the saw. The cover says it’s electronic, so I’m assuming it is. I’m waiting for the tool to remove the flywheel.
You would have to butt spice or solder the wire going down I couldn't get flywheel off. I'm pretty sure this saw had spark no compression. Send me a message with your address will get it out to you tomorrow or Monday.

Latest posts

Back