Stihl 031 Ignition coil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should also change the spark plug lead and verify that other wires have intact insulation. I had issue with an 030AV and i had wire insulation issues on lead and kill wire. Replace those and it has been a good runner for a couple years now

You should also change the spark plug lead and verify that other wires have intact insulation. I had issue with an 030AV and i had wire insulation issues on lead and kill wire. Replace those and it has been a good runner for a couple years now
Your exactly right. I had that problem on one of mine where the plug wire comes out of coil it's just a rubber like boot that holds the wire into coil. It had came out just enough to not make contact.

Your exactly right. I had that problem on one of mine where the plug wire comes out of coil it's just a rubber like boot that holds the wire into coil. It had came out just enough to not make contact.
Thank you for heads up. I always thought that the plug lead attachment had the potential to fall out at any minute.

HarleyT

thanks for posting the instruction sheet. I was going to try to describe the process but that is much better!
When you have the lead out look into the coil, you should see what looks like a wood screw to screw the lead onto.

maybe the instructions for the spark plug end would help also.

might be a good idea to replace lead and both boots as these saws are old and the rubber dries out and gets brittle.

I've purchased an old electronic Stihl 031Q and it won't generate a spark. It appears that replacement coils are no longer available (OEM or aftermarket). Can these be repaired? Or, do I just need to buy a used coil and hope for the best. Oh, does anyone know the specs on resistance for the primary and secondary windings for this saw? I can't locate those numbers. Thanks for any help or advice.
This is late, but did you resolve your question about the coil resistance ? I have a service manual for 032 which
also includes specs. for 030 & 031, It shows primary resist. of .7 - 1.0 ohm for primary and 7.7 - 10.3 K ohm
for the secondary on the coil for an 031. This is for a points/condenser style ignition. I have an 031AV
with ignition problems; I suspect the coil but cannot find replacement coil. Hope this helps.

I have two 031AVs that run like new would that be the same as the Q? I can check them later with a meter. I also have spare parts and coils laying around for them.
This is late but I just saw your comment from last Sept. re: Stihl 031 ignition. I have an 031 with ignition problems,
I suspect the coil but replacements are not available. Do you have a used one ? If so can you reply. Thanks.

I have two 031AVs that run like new would that be the same as the Q? I can check them later with a meter. I also have spare parts and coils laying around for them.
Any chance you have a spare coil for an 031AV with points and
condenser ignition ? My coil tests ok for resistance using a meter but still won't start or run. I have good compression and believe carb & fuel supply ok. I can see spark with plug out, but it does not appear very bright.

Did you ever get a ignition coil for your 031?

I've purchased an old electronic Stihl 031Q and it won't generate a spark. It appears that replacement coils are no longer available (OEM or aftermarket). Can these be repaired? Or, do I just need to buy a used coil and hope for the best. Oh, does anyone know the specs on resistance for the primary and secondary windings for this saw? I can't locate those numbers. Thanks for any help or advice.
I have a service manual for 032,031,... that lists the Primary resistance as 0.7 - 1.0 Ohms,
Secondary resistance as 7700 - 10300 Ohms.

Any chance you have a spare coil for an 031AV with points and
condenser ignition ? My coil tests ok for resistance using a meter but still won't start or run. I have good compression and believe carb & fuel supply ok. I can see spark with plug out, but it does not appear very bright.
Negative Oldercut, sorry I do not have any spare coils. My 031 had exact same problem- coil still sparked BUT weak spark at pull over speed(Stihl Dealer testing). It was converted to use an "Atom" (NLA) electronic ignition module and never had any points and condenser when I got it. The genuine Stihl coils for an 031AV are NLA in Australia/ worldwide it seems, there are aftermarket coils BUT one I got that was sold as correct but it did not fit. It had 2 problems- the HT lead came out 180 deg around and the bolt hole pattern in laminated coil base was wrong. Have a read of my thread " Stihl saws kickback on starting" - this thread not about your problem but applicable as the new coil fitted to old core gave good spark BUT retarded ignition timing well past TDC, so be careful if you go down that track. Check the timing with a strobe light. Mine set about 12mm BTDC from marks on case rim. These saws are excellent, mine is 1983 vintage and still runs its original cylinder and we have HARD wood (like eucalypt called Iron Bark) over here. Its on its last legs with wear in crank pin and little end bearings. Hope this helps keep that old saw going.

Attachments

• Stihl031_Atom_Ignition_1.jpg
    Stihl031_Atom_Ignition_1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
JoeCookeWVU
I have a 031AV and the Coil has gone bad. It has a Bosch 2204 222 on it. I am tracking the OEM part # is 1113 400 1300. Is there another saw that I can get a coil from that is compatible like the 064 or 038 etc? I don't want to pay 80 dollars for a used coil on ebay. I think the 2204 222 fits the 064 and 038 but I have not found any literature that can verify that for me.

Back