Stihl 031 problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastryguyhawaii

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was given this 031 to get running if I could. It has new rings, clutch side crank seal, Proline carb & fuel line/filter, & new impulse line. Pass pressure vac test. I tried both the Kawasaki & Oregon ignition chips with the Oregon in now. Both work with timing advance. The problem is it starts in a couple pulls, runs quite well for about 3/4's of a tank. It will then just stop and will not restart. Spark looks the same as the beginning & the plug does not get wet. Wait a day and starts right up. I have done this quite a few times with the same results. Oh, and the intake boot looks good.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

classic bad coil looses spark when it heats up.....coils still have spark externally when checking but not enough under cylinder compression.....tank might not be venting...that tends to be a gradual stop to the engine....

good luck

classic bad coil looses spark when it heats up.....coils still have spark externally when checking but not enough under cylinder compression.....tank might not be venting...that tends to be a gradual stop to the engine....

good luck

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that it might be the coil, though I am real weak on electrical issues. It just stops abruptly. Unfortunately, coils are out there but are not cheap.

The Oregon and Kawasaki chips are the same, but the Oregon can be hooked up in reverse. They work on the 032.

The 031 takes Stihl #1118 400 1001. Not sure what aftermarket chip works on that model.

Easy to check the tank vent, just take the fuel cap off and see if it runs..

I did try that, still a no go.
The coil heating up makes sense to me. It always cuts out after the same amount of running.
It's a decent running saw, I like it. I will pass it on to the original owners when I get it right.

I was given this 031 to get running if I could. It has new rings, clutch side crank seal, Proline carb & fuel line/filter, & new impulse line. Pass pressure vac test. I tried both the Kawasaki & Oregon ignition chips with the Oregon in now. Both work with timing advance. The problem is it starts in a couple pulls, runs quite well for about 3/4's of a tank. It will then just stop and will not restart. Spark looks the same as the beginning & the plug does not get wet. Wait a day and starts right up. I have done this quite a few times with the same results. Oh, and the intake boot looks good.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Mine floods like hell 🤣, it was a good coil(stihl 009), checked resistance as indicated in manual and got same values. Now the spark just became weaker and magically disappear. Turned out the high tension wire ****ed up and touching ground on some sort. Stopping the spark to generate. 😂

The Oregon and Kawasaki chips are the same, but the Oregon can be hooked up in reverse. They work on the 032.

The 031 takes Stihl #1118 400 1001. Not sure what aftermarket chip works on that model.
I replaced the points/condenser setup in both my 031av saws with am aftermarket 98220 universal ignition chip connected for negative ground. Have cut a lot of wood with them since this upgrade. Some posts indicate that chip should be connected in positive ground configuration but I found that my saws would not start connected that way

Back